Security deposit

P

Pnel2p7

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Hello my name is ________, I had moved out of an place, they sent my security deposit back to me after the 30 day period, and also they kept 300.00 dollars, they did not send any explanation, I just want to know, can I take them to court, and also does my security deposit doubles?

Last edited by a moderator:
You should never post your full real name on the internet. I edited it out for you.

they did not send any explanation

That is a violation of the CT security deposit statute 47a-21(d)(2)(B):

(2) Upon termination of a tenancy, any tenant may notify his landlord in writing of such tenant's forwarding address. Within thirty days after termination of a tenancy, each landlord other than a rent receiver shall deliver to the tenant or former tenant at such forwarding address either (A) the full amount of the security deposit paid by such tenant plus accrued interest as provided in subsection (i) of this section, or (B) the balance of the security deposit paid by such tenant plus accrued interest as provided in subsection (i) of this section after deduction for any damages suffered by such landlord by reason of such tenant's failure to comply with such tenant's obligations, together with a written statement itemizing the nature and amount of such damages.

can I take them to court

Yes.

does my security deposit doubles?

Yes.

The rest of the quoted section says:

Any such landlord who violates any provision of this subsection shall be liable for twice the amount or value of any security deposit paid by such tenant...

2014 Connecticut General Statutes :: Title 47a - Landlord and Tenant :: Chapter 831 - Advance Rental Payment. Security Deposits :: Section 47a-21 - Security deposits.

Read the rest of the statute and make sure you did whatever you were supposed to do.

Oh, wait till after the 30 days are up so he doesn't have a chance to correct his error.
;)

Also make sure you figure out how much interest he was supposed to pay you on the deposit. Bet he didn't to that either.

Back up a bit and make sure you complied with your part of the responsibilities.

Did you give the required notice in writing before moving out, and did you provide a forwarding address when you turned in your keys?
Your 30 days typically begins when you turn in your keys. How late was the check? What was the date of the check or the postmark? When did you actually receive it?

If nothing was included with the check regarding the deduction, have you contacted them to ask about it? If they realize their error there is always the chance they might just pay you and everyone can avoid court.

Back