Security Deposit and Multiple Tenants

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthe

I'm currently living with with 4 other roommates in a house that we're leasing. We're all on the same lease but we entered at different times. I was one of the last two and signed an addendum to be added to the lease. The entire regular security deposit was already in place from the other tenants so I gave a check for my portion of the deposit to one of the other tenants (who is currently still here). My portion was equal to my monthly rent, $450. I was told by the management company that they required a double deposit from me since I didn't have 6 months working history with the same company. I gave a check for the additional portion to the management company directly. They asked for 1/4 the total deposit since there were 4 bedrooms (one couple in one room, thus 5 tenants) which came to $587.25. I am now moving out and am wondering from who, legally, I should be getting my deposit back from. The management company has said that I need to get the entire thing ($450+$587.25) from the remaining tenants and that they would credit the remaining tenants for the $587.25 in the following month's rent. One of the remaining tenants told me that he will be witholding a portion for "general cleaning" (carpets, kitched, etc) for when they move out. My first question is, should I be getting the deposit from the management company or from the remaining tenants? The second question is, what grounds do the other tenants have to withold part of my deposit and what can I do to get the whole thing back if there aren't any specific damages caused by me?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back