Section8 metro Housing in Boston accuse me discrimination because I do not make repairs

tiger1234

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I received an application from one potential tenant and filled out "Request for Tenancy Approval" form from section8, but they are not lease or contract. Inside this form, it mentions "If you are unable to make the required repairs, please contact the Senior Inspections Coordinator as soon as possible." Now I was accused by section 8 that I am discriminanting section 8 tenant if I do not make the required repairs. Though my house has not been approved to by section 8 yet and no contract has been signed and tenant has not moved in yet.

I just bought this house one month ago, fixed lots of problems according to my buyer home inspection report and insurance company inspection report. But it still failed section 8 inspection extensively. However I also felt being racial discriminated during inspection. Because I am immigrate and not good at English, this inspector failed everything he could. The house was bought about one month ago. It has Boston fire department smoke alarm certificate. But it is failed smoke detector. He also ask me to remove a cabinet light that was bought from Home Depot for sink. The bathroom in the basement has no ceiling and door. The inspector requires to install fans, or demolish the bathroom. Will the fan works if no ceiling and door for the bathroom? The basement is not living area and not for rent.

And the inspector also threaten me if I do not make fix, the house is illegal for living. Does that mean the previous owner was illegal living there for more than 80 years?
Thanks

Attachments

• Owner Packet.pdf
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 4
I received an application from one potential tenant and filled out "Request for Tenancy Approval" form from section8, but they are not lease or contract. Inside this form, it mentions "If you are unable to make the required repairs, please contact the Senior Inspections Coordinator as soon as possible." Now I was accused by section 8 that I am discriminanting section 8 tenant if I do not make the required repairs. Though my house has not been approved to by section 8 yet and no contract has been signed and tenant has not moved in yet.

I just bought this house one month ago, fixed lots of problems according to my buyer home inspection report and insurance company inspection report. But it still failed section 8 inspection extensively. However I also felt being racial discriminated during inspection. Because I am immigrate and not good at English, this inspector failed everything he could. The house was bought about one month ago. It has Boston fire department smoke alarm certificate. But it is failed smoke detector. He also ask me to remove a cabinet light that was bought from Home Depot for sink. The bathroom in the basement has no ceiling and door. The inspector requires to install fans, or demolish the bathroom. Will the fan works if no ceiling and door for the bathroom? The basement is not living area and not for rent.

And the inspector also threaten me if I do not make fix, the house is illegal for living. Does that mean the previous owner was illegal living there for more than 80 years?
Thanks

Was the previous owner renting the home? What conditions a homeowner may allow themselves to live in is vastly different than what the City of Boston may find acceptable to rent to a tenant. Hire a contractor to fix the issues that the City deems need repair.

You also need to study and memorize the LL/Tenant statutes for Boston/Massachusetts.

Now I was accused by section 8 that I am discriminating section 8 tenant if I do not make the required repairs.

That's a bogus accusation, of course. It's not going anywhere if you don't do the repairs.

On the other hand, given your description of the condition of the place you are unlikely to be able to rent it to anybody but a lowlife who wants to set up a meth lab.

That's a bogus accusation, of course. It's not going anywhere if you don't do the repairs.

On the other hand, given your description of the condition of the place you are unlikely to be able to rent it to anybody but a lowlife who wants to set up a meth lab.
He's going to have to fix the place before renting. It's Boston, and if he rents it without passing inspection he is for a mess of fines.

Back