Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Second shoplifting charge

jassox

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
So about 2 years ago I received a 3rd degree shoplifting charge. I was order to PTI and completed successfully and its been over 6 months. I was preparing for an expungement. Being the idiot I am I decided to go into a store and shoplift again , I am a single mother, 26 years old and I am a pre-nursing student. Being that I am a student my hours at work have been reduced to 15 sometimes less. I was denied food stamps because I receive financial aid for school which in turn I spend on books and material. I was celebrating a birthday this past weekend and decided to shoplift some items so I can have a birthday dinner with my child. I know its pathetic. ANYWAY. I'm terrified that I will be convicted of this new charge and my education will be pointless.. I do not want to live in poverty anymore, I want to become something of my self, I want to be able to afford grocery's and anything me or my child need. I lost my mother 2 years ago to cancer she was the only person I could count on for any help, I know this is no good excuse I just feel so shitty sometimes and I felt I was trying really hard to better my self but had a weak moment that will now define my entire future, I know what I did was terrible, But I can not do this with 2 thefts on my record. My question now is what happens after a second offense of theft, Is there any chance of getting an expungement on 2 charges. the new charge is aout $100 it was at a store, I was pulled into the security room and told to sign something I had no idea what it was but I signed anyway I was so scared to even ask anything. The store called the PD and I was took into booking and released in about 2 hours. I know the first steps will be to get a lawyer, I will try this week to do that..... What can criminal defense attorney do that a public defender cant do?

My question now is what happens after a second offense of theft, Is there any chance of getting an expungement on 2 charges.

Maybe, but at the moment you only have ONE conviction.

The current charge is pending, and you are INNOCENT until prven guilty, or you plead guilty.

All you need to do is STOP discussing this incident with anyone.

Don't post questions all over the internet.

You appear in court as instructed, plead NOT guilty, ask the court to appoint a public defender to represent you, and talk about this with your lawyer (no one else, just your lawyer).

No one can guarantee you a certain outcome, don't ask what could happen, you already know.

While this case winds its way through the system, don't do anymore stupid shit.

Only YOU can control what you do, so control yourself, check yourself, or you'll wreck yourself.

What can criminal defense attorney do that a public defender cant do?

They are BOTH the same thing, just a lawyer.

You can hire one, or see if the state will pay for one on your behalf.

Now go forth and sin no more, my dear child, and for your child's future and yours, STOP doing dumb shit.

I am a Retail Theft Consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Yes you have a serious issue. Confessing on a Public forum is VERY unwise. You need to talk to a lawyer who can tell you your options. A Public defender is also a Lawyer so both can do same thing. Question will be will court approve a PD for you. In mean time start calling Lawyers many offer "free" consultation get as many as you can. Expunging your conviction happens after years not months! So my question is what was outcome of first case? Were you part of a Diversion program or the like? If so had you completed the program yet? If not them you could be in violation of your plea deal and could face conviction on that charge as well. You need to get on phone and start calling Lawyers!

What can criminal defense attorney do that a public defender cant do?

Commit more time to your specific case. However if you could afford a private attorney you probably would not have been shoplifting.
You already used your freebie. You will be lucky if you avoid conviction. Sometimes the only thing that helps is time. You might just have to wait long enough and keep a clean record until employers are willing to give you a shot.

Back