Screwed

M

Member 127005

Jurisdiction
Illinois
My relative thinks I'm taking advantage of him. He drinks too much alcohol and complains about everyone. I'm often the target. I make SSDI. Plus I save a little. There's not much I can do.

There is a option for a motel voucher through a homeless shelter. I'm not sure the shelter will give me a voucher or if any available. It may be my only option in meanwhile as there is little peace where I live.

I told the relative Im trying for SSI so that I can pay more for rent. Its just very stressful situation with a miserable relative.

My relative thinks I'm taking advantage of him. He drinks too much alcohol and complains about everyone. I'm often the target. I make SSDI. Plus I save a little. There's not much I can do.

There is a option for a motel voucher through a homeless shelter. I'm not sure the shelter will give me a voucher or if any available. It may be my only option in meanwhile as there is little peace where I live.

I told the relative Im trying for SSI so that I can pay more for rent. Its just very stressful situation with a miserable relative.
Did you have a legal question?

What's my rights in a situation where a disabled adult on SSDI is being asked by a relative getting unemployment but thinks I should pay half?

I take it you live with this relative. If that's right, that makes you his tenant, so you have the rights of any other tenant. Assuming you don't have a long-term lease (or even a written lease), you can be evicted at any time (for just about any reason), and your relative/landlord can require you to pay whatever amount of rent he wants. You do not have a right to live with this person indefinitely or to dictate the terms of rent (or pretty much anything else).

He said I can stay but expects me to pay more. Still sounds insane. I thought in IL is a 30 days notice they must give you?

On that note would the local shelter qualify me for a motel voucher by saying what you told me above?

Is it illegal or discrimination for a housing authority to tell me I need a cosigner, and the application I filled out with them had space for only 3 rental references. I never had problems with applying with a housing authorities even out of state , never was asked need a cosigner. Lady told me need a cosigner as I've lived with family for years except once

He said I can stay but expects me to pay more. Still sounds insane.

A landlord wanting his tenant to pay more rent is not at all insane.

I thought in IL is a 30 days notice they must give you?

That's pretty typical, and you can google to confirm that. When I mentioned in my prior response that your relative/landlord can evict you at any time, that didn't mean that he doesn't have to follow the applicable notice laws.

On that note would the local shelter qualify me for a motel voucher by saying what you told me above?

I have no way of knowing how your local shelter operates.

Is it illegal or discrimination for a housing authority to tell me I need a cosigner, and the application I filled out with them had space for only 3 rental references.

No.

If landlords don't follow laws that names them law-less. That's like saying I can take a crap in the toilet and not flush lol

I'm not sure the shelter will give me a voucher or if any available. It may be my only option

You've solved your problem.

You might also look for social service agencies that assist people obtain housing, such as: Catholic Charities Catholic Charities USA - Reducing Poverty in America , Lutheran Charities Lutheran Church Charities , Jewish Charities czxc .

Social Services near you: Call the Homelessness Prevention Call Center: Dial 3-1-1 or 312-744-5000 and ask for "Short-Term Help."

Go to your nearest Chicago Dept. of Family and Support Services Community Service Center.

Homeless Services

- Chicago Coalition for the Homeless

Chicago Homeless Shelters and Services - Chicago IL Homeless Shelters

NEW: Counseling Support Line: (312) 948-6951 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Catholic Charities Social Services - email GetHelp@catholiccharities.net or call (312) 655-7700 in Chicago or (847) 782-4000 in Lake County and someone will assist you.

IDHS: Emergency & Transitional Housing Program

Housing Services | Inspiration Corporation

Bully for you, mate.

He said I can stay but expects me to pay more. Still sounds insane.

How much do you pay now? How much more does he want?

I thought in IL is a 30 days notice they must give you?

The statute requires 30 days written notice of termination of tenancy. See paragraph (b):

Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes

I have always been of the opinion that an increase in rent is a termination of an existing tenancy agreement in favor of a new tenancy agreement so 30 days written notice of a rent increase would be sufficient notice.

As long as the two of you are just verbally sparring about the money, you don't have to pay more than you are paying. If he figures it out and gives you proper written notice then your choice will be to pay the increased amount, leave by the end of the 30 days, or be evicted.

The federal eviction moratorium extends until Dec 31. The Illinois moratorium extends until Nov 14. You might be able to stall your relative for quite a while if you want to go that route.

If landlords don't follow laws that names them law-less.

You want your relative to follow the law and give you proper notice or do you want to stall him as long as you can? Be careful what you wish for. There's nothing illegal about him "asking" your for more money.You don't have to comply unless he asks properly.

You've solved your problem.

You might also look for social service agencies that assist people obtain housing, such as: Catholic Charities Catholic Charities USA - Reducing Poverty in America , Lutheran Charities Lutheran Church Charities , Jewish Charities czxc .

Social Services near you: Call the Homelessness Prevention Call Center: Dial 3-1-1 or 312-744-5000 and ask for "Short-Term Help."

Go to your nearest Chicago Dept. of Family and Support Services Community Service Center.

Homeless Services

- Chicago Coalition for the Homeless

Chicago Homeless Shelters and Services - Chicago IL Homeless Shelters

NEW: Counseling Support Line: (312) 948-6951 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Catholic Charities Social Services - email GetHelp@catholiccharities.net or call (312) 655-7700 in Chicago or (847) 782-4000 in Lake County and someone will assist you.

IDHS: Emergency & Transitional Housing Program

Housing Services | Inspiration Corporation

Bully for you, mate.

Thanks , lots of people will go homeless and be broke thanks to our dumb mafia like governor

Back