School student discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chipper

I just found out about a teacher displaying discrimination during class.

She is bringing doughnuts to class and any member of the marching band or football team are welcome to as many as they want....other students can not have any.

The members of the select groups can eat them during class and in front of the other students.......this goes on for all her classes on Fridays during the FB season.

I was horrified when I heard today and made some phone calls to make sure my child was telling the whole story and found it to be true and this took place last year also.

One student asked for a doughnut and after replying they were not a band or football member..... "You don't work your butt off like they do" was the answer they got from the teacher.

I have nothing against these groups and my child is even in the band but I feel this is wrong on a lot of levels.

If the tragedies at Columbine or V-Tech taught us anything it is all it takes is 1 mentally unbalanced student to feel inferior to others and a disaster might be in the making and we have a teacher openly favoring a certain group during class.

I'm headed to the school first thing Monday morning to talk to the principal but not sure how to proceed if he doesn't agree with me that this is a very serious matter........I feel it is and have thought of taking legal action if it would be possible to hammer home my point.

Their handbook has a line in it insuring ...
"The Board of School Directors is committed to providing all students with a safe,healthy and civil environment in which all members of the school community are treated with mutual respect,tolerance and dignity.

2 years ago the school was locked down when a person in camo was spotted by teachers close to the fence with what appeared to be a weapon.....To this day that case was never solved.Sadly schools have to be very careful anymore and I am baffled at this open display of favoritism by a teacher....I'm a scared parent I'll be honest about that.

I'm not looking for any money and would donate any to charity if it would end up that way but hope to get some clear answers about a solution from the principal Monday.

Any legal or even personal advise about how to handle this would be taken....or I'm I just worrying to much and should just let it alone.

I was horrified when I heard today and made some phone calls to make sure my child was telling the whole story and found it to be true and this took place last year also.

Let me get this straight: You are "horrified" that some students can eat doughnuts and others cant?

The teacher bought doughnuts, they belong to her/him. They can give out the doughnuts to whomever they want to. There maybe some screwball rule in school that is being broken and if it is truly so important you can spend some time badgering the Principal's office so that NO student will be able to eat doughnuts.

What do you think she should do? Buy doughnuts for all students or no students? You think your child has the "right" to a doughnut just because they are there? I personally am horrified that you are bringing up a child that believes they are ENTITLED to a doughnut just because they are there.

Please get a grip on reality. Save your "horror" for children being molested and abused and in destitute poverty.

I think the point being made here is that the teacher is showing favoritism towards a certain small group of students. So how far does that go? Are essay questions given more "benefit of the doubt?"

Prof, PLEASE don't egg this woman on! :p A teacher is under no duty to show equal benefit to all students. If a teacher wants to reward ONE student in a classroom she can do so. They are her doughnuts. She doesn't have to buy one for every person in school just because she buys them for one class.

The sad part is this kid is growing up with a whiny entitlement attitude that says if i don't get everything I want then someone is to blame. Next thing you know this Mom will be talking about 42 USC 1983 suits concerning her son's Constitutional right to have a doughnut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back