School Post Defaming my Family

Lonnie Medley

Jurisdiction
Minnesota
I'm having an issue with my daughters school. they currently have a post up on a public school forum, seesaw, claiming me and my kids live in a van. Which isn't true. What can I do.

I'm having an issue with my daughters school. they currently have a post up on a public school forum, seesaw, claiming me and my kids live in a van. Which isn't true. What can I do.

Do you mean that someone posted to the school's Seesaw page that your family lives in a van? Or are you saying that the SCHOOL made such a post?

They posted my daughter saying it, in an audio clip attached to her drawing. We do delivery and she rides with a lot, falls asleep sometimes. But they stay at grandma's house with my wife, I sleep in the van due to disagreements with the wife's mom . My daughter is 5 and gets confused. They posted the audio of her talking about us "living in the van" which is false but still a very serious claim, especially with the current custody battle we are in, that shouldn't be posted on a public school forum.

They posted my daughter saying it, in an audio clip attached to her drawing. We do delivery and she rides with a lot, falls asleep sometimes. But they stay at grandma's house with my wife, I sleep in the van due to disagreements with the wife's mom . My daughter is 5 and gets confused. They posted the audio of her talking about us "living in the van" which is false but still a very serious claim, especially with the current custody battle we are in, that shouldn't be posted on a public school forum.
It helps if you tell the actual story when you post...

They posted the audio of her talking about us "living in the van" which is false but still a very serious claim, especially with the current custody battle we are in, that shouldn't be posted on a public school forum.
Actually, it's not entirely false. If you are in a "custody battle" and you do not live with you in-laws, but rather you "sleep" in the van, then you do, in fact, "live" in the van.

I agree that it really shouldn't be posted, but not because the school needs to worry about how you might feel it will affect your court case, but rather, how it might affect the child in later life once the bullies start earning their stars.

I suggest you contact the Superintendent of Schools to discuss this. Even if it were true that your family sleeps in a van, it should not be posted of the schools website. Do you know why they did this? Was it just a random "Lonnie Medley's family sleeps in a Van" or was there something that led up to the posting?

I suggest you contact the Superintendent of Schools to discuss this. Even if it were true that your family sleeps in a van, it should not be posted of the schools website. Do you know why they did this? Was it just a random "Lonnie Medley's family sleeps in a Van" or was there something that led up to the posting?
There's a drawing that the child did posted on the site along with an audio clip of the child saying they live in a van.

I already have, and principal and teacher. Still waiting

I would take this up with the Superintendent and/or the school board.

If its true, its true.

If the child is confused, you might need to speak to the child.

It doesn't help someone improve or change something of one tries to obfuscate the fact pattern.

I would take this up with the Superintendent and/or the school board.

If its true, its true.

If the child is confused, you might need to speak to the child.

It doesn't help someone improve or change something of one tries to obfuscate the fact pattern.
She said we, only I do. Thanks but I'm just going to contact the school board.

I already have [contacted the site admin], and principal and teacher. Still waiting

Contacted them when?

There's no legal issue here. This is something to be worked out with the website administrator and the school. You also ought to speak with your kid regarding her confusion.

She said we, only I do. Thanks but I'm just going to contact the school board.

If it were my child, she and I would have a few lengthy chats.
I'd make sure she understood innocent questions from loaded questions.
I'd also be reviewing all of her homework daily.
In the end, as one of her parents, I'd blame myself not her.
I'd make sure I was the father I must be, so she could be the citizen her country needs her to be.

Who says I don't or haven't? Why are people on this site so judgy, nobody blamed her. The school shouldn't post it period. I just want it removed period. I was just asking what I can do if they dont period. All I've ever gotten on these forums are accusations and judgements. Thanks for the info but I pride myself in my parenting regardless of the current situation I'm in.

The only legal issue I see here is a potential privacy issue.

However, you probably checked off the box that it was okay to use your daughter's image, etc., in all the school paperwork that you filled out for school, thinking that it would only be cute candids.

(Heck, someone posed my kid on autism awareness day next to a chalk drawing, not hers, with "autism" misspelled. She was kind of peeved when it was published in the newspaper.)

Even if you were in need, it would be inappropriate without permission (but not illegal).

Well meaning people sometimes don't "get it".

The only legal issue I see here is a potential privacy issue.

However, you probably checked off the box that it was okay to use your daughter's image, etc., in all the school paperwork that you filled out for school, thinking that it would only be cute candids.

(Heck, someone posed my kid on autism awareness day next to a chalk drawing, not hers, with "autism" misspelled. She was kind of peeved when it was published in the newspaper.)

Even if you were in need, it would be inappropriate without permission (but not illegal).

Well meaning people sometimes don't "get it".

That's terrible, I'd of been upset too.. is there really nothing I can do?

Who says I don't or haven't? Why are people on this site so judgy, nobody blamed her. The school shouldn't post it period. I just want it removed period. I was just asking what I can do if they dont period. All I've ever gotten on these forums are accusations and judgements. Thanks for the info but I pride myself in my parenting regardless of the current situation I'm in.

I have never reacted negatively to objective criticism when I sought advice or information.

No one here, least of all this obscure poster, kidnapped you or forced you to post anything on this site.

You came here, and posted a story obfuscating the facts so as to receive positive, albeit useless responses in a legal sense.

The law doesn't concern itself with feelings and emotions.

Our law attempts to be dispassionate and objective in it's application.

That can only occur when one is honest.

In all of my decades practicing and adjudicating the law, I have never allowed my emotions/feelings to interfere with being impartial (as impartial as a human being) can be in my pursuits of a just outcome.

I didn't say YOU blamed her.

I tried to suggest, clumsily according to you, that you shouldn't blame the child.

I was attempting to illustrate to you that as a parent, I avoided blaming my children, opting to instruct each to be better and do their best at all time.

In the end, this is one of many websites on the 'net.

Nothing that is said here matters one iota, insofar, as your pursuit of justice for yourself or your family.

If the matter sticks in your craw so much, you can hire a lawyer to exact justice for you and your family.

Some dislike it, but in this country one must "pay to play".

I am but one of 330,000,000 inhabitants of this nation.

Don't take the words on a screen to be anything more than they are, words on a screen.

That's terrible, I'd of been upset too.. is there really nothing I can do?

You can request from the school forms to rescind your permission to have your daughter's likeness used by the school.

Your school should have some form of a Parents Bill of Rights for Data Privacy and Security. If it does not, then approach the school board with this issue.

Back