School District Classified Employee

Moedad

Jurisdiction
California
My wife works for a school district as an instructional aide. She's been there for 22+ years. In 2003 she earned a bachelors degree in child development. Recently someone told her she should've legally received a bump in pay for the degree. They were somewhat vague on the requirement, but indicated it had a federal basis, which sounds a little suspect in regard to a CA school district employee. We checked anyway, but can't find any confirmation of this claim. Hoping someone here can respond with an answer one way or the other.

We checked anyway, but can't find any confirmation of this claim.

Because there is no law mandating a raise in salary upon getting a degree. Whoever told her that is an idiot.

If she works for a state college or community college (government owned) there may be some civil service requirements or if she is a member of a union there may be some union contract requirements.

But in the absence of those, it's strictly up to the employer as to whether she gets a raise or not. If she can't get one for the asking she is free to seek employment elsewhere and see if she can do better in the salary department.

There is no law that I know of that says after obtaining a certain degree you are automatically entitled to an increase in salary.

Barring a union or other contract or some kind of notation in a municipal charter, the ONLY time the law requires that a person be given a raise is if minimum wage is raised by the appropriate legislative body and the employee's current wage is below the new minimum.

One day I plan to write another book about urban myths and legal fairy tales.

I'll be happy to contribute!

I'll be happy to contribute!

Super, when I finish my current first effort, I'll let you know.

I think it would be an entertaining little read.

Lots of experience in education here, and no, there is no such law. There may be a union agreement, or policy of providing a bump in pay for a BA. 13 years later, I would not count on it. Generally speaking education only raises wages when the education obtained is required for that position. Teachers are required to obtain post-graduate credits so there is a bump in pay when they do so. It would be less common for such a bump for an instructional assistant as that is not a job which requires a BA.

Back