School Bus Flashing Yellow Lights

metaldrummer

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I was driving home from work today when I encountered a school bus approaching on the other side of the street. It had its yellow lights flashing. The bus had not yet stopped moving. The only way for me to come to a complete stop would have been to slam on the brakes, which was dangerous, as there was another vehicle very close behind me, so I passed the bus. My question is, should I have tried to stop? I had to decide so quickly, and I'm afraid I made the wrong decision.

You should have slowed down and been prepared to stop.
Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate it. If I had slammed on the brakes, I would have stopped directly adjacent to the bus. Would that have been acceptable? I was rounding a turn in the road and had only a few seconds to react.

Thank you for the quick reply, I appreciate it. If I had slammed on the brakes, I would have stopped directly adjacent to the bus. Would that have been acceptable?

Probably. The idea is that vehicles don't move while children are crossing the road.

I was rounding a turn in the road and had only a few seconds to react.

Then I suggest that you may have been rounding that curve way too fast.

PS: A lot of school buses these days have video cameras. And those that don't can have the driver take down license plate numbers. You might already have a citation on the way.

Probably. The idea is that vehicles don't move while children are crossing the road.

Then I suggest that you may have been rounding that curve way too fast.

PS: A lot of school buses these days have video cameras. And those that don't can have the driver take down license plate numbers. You might already have a citation on the way.
Thank you very much for your reply. I'll gladly pay any citation that I receive. In the future, if I see a school bus on the road and there is evidence of it slowing down or stopping, I'll immediately slow down and/or stop as appropriate without hesitation. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.

What's the issue? Did you receive a traffic ticket?
I did not receive a traffic ticket, no. I want to educate myself so that I can be a better driver in the future. I don't want anything like this to happen again, and I certainly don't want to put anyone in danger on the road.

Well you obviously know what you are supposed to do.

You are not required to stop for the yellow lights - they are usually just a warning to expect the red lights to light up.

Well you obviously know what you are supposed to do.

You are not required to stop for the yellow lights - they are usually just a warning to expect the red lights to light up.
Yes, that was what made me hesitate. When I first saw the bus, I didn't know for how long the yellow lights had been on, and I passed because I didn't think I would have enough time to stop before passing the bus even if I hit my brakes. In retrospect, it was a poor judgement call and I should have just attempted to slow down. It won't happen again, in any case.

Back