Scenario examining offer and acceptance for the sale of goods.

Leungs

Betty and Jason are friend. On 20th October ,when they are having lunch together, Betty told Jason that I want to buy a computer. Jason said that he have an extra computer and may sell to Betty in around $6000HKD. Betty said she need time to think .

Later,on the same day , Jason used email to tell Betty that " we should make like a formal business deal since a large of money is involved . I may sell the computer to you at $6000 HKD. What do you think?"

On 21st October , Betty replied Jason by email , telling that " I will buy the computer from you at $6000HKD. I will transfer the money to you next week."

On 22nd October Jason text Betty by sending email that " I think the computer should be sold in$8000HKD. I advertised it for sale on " bidding .com" website and someone want to buy at $10000HKD. Let me know if you want it by 25th October ,ok?"

Betty did read Jason's email on 22nd October .Betty liked Jason' computer so much and she thought $8000HKD is a reasonable price . She planned to reply to Jason ,but forget to do so.

On 26th October , Betty email Jason by email that "sorry for late reply , I transfer $8000HKD to you now ". But ,Jason sold the computer to another person after he saw the email. Betty did not transfer the money however she planned to sue Jason and asked the court to force Jason to sell the computer to her.

Advise Betty on her legal position.

The question is below:

Betty and Jason are friend. On 20th October ,when they are having lunch together, Betty told Jason that I want to buy a computer. Jason said that he have an extra computer and may sell to Betty in around $6000HKD. Betty said she need time to think .

Later,on the same day , Jason used email to tell Betty that " we should make like a formal business deal since a large of money is involved . I may sell the computer to you at $6000 HKD. What do you think?"

On 21st October , Betty replied Jason by email , telling that " I will buy the computer from you at $6000HKD. I will transfer the money to you next week."

On 22nd October Jason text Betty by sending email that " I think the computer should be sold in$8000HKD. I advertised it for sale on " bidding .com" website and someone want to buy at $10000HKD. Let me know if you want it by 25th October ,ok?"

Betty did read Jason's email on 22nd October .Betty liked Jason' computer so much and she thought $8000HKD is a reasonable price . She planned to reply to Jason ,but forget to do so.

On 26th October , Betty email Jason by email that "sorry for late reply , I transfer $8000HKD to you now ". But ,Jason sold the computer to another person after he saw the email. Betty did not transfer the money however she planned to sue Jason and asked the court to force Jason to sell the computer to her.

This site is for US Law only.

Betty should do her own homework. ;)

($6,000 HKD = $765 USD)

Betty is a very lucky person.

Betty saved $8000 HKD (about $1,020 USD) and Jason is luckier because he found a sucker willing to gove him $10,000 HKD for his used, broken down computer.

Both parties should be very happy that this worked out so well for both of them.

The loser here is the sucker who got scammed out of his hard earned $10,000 HKD (which is about $1,275 USD) for that old pile of junk Jason calls a computer.

Back