Scammed into buying fake train tickets and now may be criminally liable

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomdavies

Jurisdiction
Other
Hello,

Me and my girlfriend came to Berlin and on our first day we were scammed into buying fake train tickets by a man claiming to work for the train company whilst trying to figure out how to use the ticket machine. We were then pulled of the train by a ticket conductor who told us that using a fake ticket is a criminal offence under German law and we can expect a letter from the German courts when we return to England. We did nothing wrong apart from being slightly naive, but are very worried about it. Would you be able to provide us with the likely outcome, or advice on what we should do, thanks.

Despite being able to select non-U.S. jurisdictions from the drop-down menu, these boards are for issues of U.S. law only.

That said, no one here knows what anyone in Germany -- much less "the German courts" -- might do, but my guess is that the person who told you this was just trying to scare you. The best thing for you to do is probably to live your life as usual (but just be more aware of scams and buy your train tickets only from proper ticket offices).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back