Consumer Fraud Scam Alert: Card Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
I've received no less than a dozen calls from a company called "Card Services" which claims that after paying my Visa or Mastercard credit card bills for 6th months, they prompted a call to me for an offer to lower my interest rates. I've gone through this a few times and this is a scam from my knowledge since, what they were telling me, was patently untrue. They have tried me from several domestic numbers and recently it looks like they are using international means or a forged ANI on my caller identification.

I'd like to begin a thread here to gather information to prosecute this company and others like it - including another company that may be related that also calls me about my car insurance purporting to have generated the call as a result of my existing policy.

After more research, there is a great deal of "phony baloney" surrounding this company called "Card Services" located in Georgia. I have discovered that they contacted me with a phone number that I haven't given out and was not listed. The representative on the phone told me I was called because of my "excellent credit history over the past 6 months and that my information was obtained as part of my applying for a card or other credit during this period." I am 100% certain that, even if I did apply, I did not provide this telephone number as part of any application.

It gets better. They wanted me to provide the numbers of my current cards to verify my eligibility for their credit reduction program. While this company may be legitimate, it is frightening to me that with nothing more than a friendly voice asking me several questions that they should already know (didn't they call me because of my credit history?) they would ask me for my credit card number.

I have no doubt this company uses the name "Card Services" to deceptively mislead consumers that they are somehow bona fide by being connected with your Visa or Mastercard provider. Even after deciding to telli them once that I don't have either card and have AMEX, it did not stop a barrage of calls coming from numerous phone numbers. Caller ID shows the use of area codes all over the country and also services that may be or are similar to skype, where you only see a 5 or 6 digit number appearing on your caller ID.

I'll be doing more research on this company soon and I'm sure there are plenty of better ways to lower your credit card rates than using this company.

Here are excerpts from this site, which also reports the same experience with Card Services:

Card Services Lower Credit Card Interest Rates Scam

As I suspected, what they do is not per se illegal but they have some type of VOIP calling system and a commission based sales structure that basically says "let them all run rampant on their own to make a buck and we'll say it's not our problem what havoc these independent telemarketers wreak."

"I've done some research into this after getting a number of automated phone calls from "Hi, this is Heather..." even though we are on the national do-not-call list.

Caller ID is useless. They are apparently using some sort of VOIP and are able to change or remove any traces of a legitimate number. If you google the number or try to call it, it will be disconnected or not in service. In searching the web, I found that they NEVER give out a legit number or follow through on getting taken off their "list" and they NEVER give out an address.

I was able to get out of one operator that she was in a call center in Atlanta, but I'm not sure I trust even that information. You can try to play along, but you have to act dumb and like you are up to your eyeballs in credit card debt to get past the first sentence or two. The people answering are trained to hang up if they sense even a trace amount of brains or suspicion.

Your local phone company won't do anything to stop the calls. I've been down that route. If you contact them, they will ask you to file a police report, and then do absolutely nothing. AT&T won't even activate a call trace on annoying telemarketers."

From the same site:

I worked a few days for them, it is not a total scam as they can reduce interest rate... but it is a completely commissioned based company and thus I made no money. We were taught to basically hang up on anyone who asks any questions unless they are really interested in reducing their rates. Anyone else, we hung up. Other than that, I understand they're an automated system that will call anyone and everyone, mostly elderly, and even those on the "do not call list." We just hung up on everyone who did not say yes and hitting the #2 does nothing. There is nothing to stop the calls. We just hang up on any person who didn't sound like they were interested. They do check credit, so it will hit your credit score. They told us that we would make $700-1000 per week..."

My instincts about what this abhorrent company was dead on accurate - take my credit card and run the report, hitting your credit score. Never, ever give out your credit card number unless you are confident about whom you are talking and the purpose for doing so.

I will be reporting this company and calling someone I know personally at the state Attorney General's office. The below information is disturbing, and I was also called several times from Atlanta and Orlando:

The alleged URL and company information is http://www.leverageconnection.com and phone number is 866-646-8102.

I was told by this company that they work with over 500 national banks, such as Bank of America and Chase. They will lead you to believe that they are sanctioned by these institutions and work with your Visa and Mastercard providers. Do not be taken in by this company, even if they do provide a service that might save you money. Chances are you're far better off with a competitor, especially given their customer acquisition methods and lack of ethics. I'll report further when I have the information to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back