Satisfaction filing...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pitchik

In 2009, I bought a truck w/out seeing it. When I received it, it was a mechanical mess. It wasn't even the truck that I agreed to purchase so, I stopped payment on my check.

The carlot hired a lawyer and sued us. There was a lean put on my property. Because the carlot sold the truck for more then what they were sueing me for, they LOST the case and we WOn.

Now, 4 years later, I notice the lean is STILL on my property. I went to the courthouse and they told me that the carlots lawyer has to file a "Satisfaction" something-or-other to get it taken off. They sent me to the lawyers office where they pulled my file and they said they would call me.

It has been a week. I have called every day. But they say they havent had time to read thru the file yet. I am trying to sell my home but cannot until this is taken care of. Now that I see it on my credit report, I understand why I have been turned down for credit & missed out on some prosperous opportunities for 4 years. And being unemployeed for 5 years, this is too why I have missed out on some jobs.

I want to know, what gives them a right to keep this over our heads for this long? Is there anything I can do for "damages" that this has inflicted on us.?

Thanks so much in advance!

Never mind but thank you. I called the Judge and he requested I bring him a letter and he said he will take care of it.

You will never be able to prove the lien on your credit report is why you were not hired. You have a responsibility to monitor your own credit record to minimize the chances of this sort of thing. This is very much why the law was changed to allow you free access to your credit report one time every year.

Keep in contact with the lawyer that handled the case. Get a copy of your credit report and dispute the lien. The process for disputes will be explained in the paperwork or on the website. When you make a formal dispute the other party will have to show justification for the lien, which they will not be able to do... and you should have documentation of a judgment in YOUR favor. That will likely take a month or two to straighten out, but could be done faster.

If that is more than you are willing to handle on your own you can certainly hire someone to handle it for you, but it will cost you.

This is absolutely something you can handle on your own if you are resourceful.

Never mind but thank you. I called the Judge and he requested I bring him a letter and he said he will take care of it.

Even so, I would dispute the lien to the credit agencies. You are also allowed to make a very brief comment that will be attached to your credit file to explain the matter.

I have gone thru all our credit reports and disputed it. I have contacted the judge who tells me to contact an attorney. The lean is still there and I am at a loss. Just lost our mother, and I cannot afford an atorney right now. Definatly missed out on a sale of my home and the purchase of our dream home due directly to this matter.......Im at a loss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back