sally may loans

3girls

Jurisdiction
Oregon
I went for my medical assent about 6 yrs ago and they said after finishing everything that I withdru from school. about 3 4 yrs ago they called me while I was at work ask for a payment over the phone as i was working and I told them I would call them back. I did and made payment plan for every 2 weeks and they said that as long as I made them on time and every thing for 1 yr than after the last payment that I wouldn't need to pay anything else. Well about almost 2 yrs ago they started to come after me again for more money and I have been garnest every week. Can they really get away with that i mean the school that i went to no longer is around and i paid what they had told me to and that should be that and i should be done with it. i havent went back to school since even through i want to

You might want to refer to any written agreement/contract you have & see what is says re payments. Are you saying you are having your wages garnished every week? If so, you might want to verify that they have an official court order to do so.

It appears your loan is a federally insured/issued loan, although Sallie Mae did hold private loans as well.

If dealing with a gov't loan, you are subject to garnishment without a court order, up to, I believe 15% of gross after taxes. (It used to be only 10%.)

Unless you got something in writing that forgave the amount you owe, that deal to pay for one year is garbage.

Navient took over Sallie Mae. If that is who you are dealing with, good luck. Just Google the lender and you will see what kind of "winners" you are dealing with.

You might want to check out some of the repayment programs offered by the USDE, assuming your loan is not "private".

Des.

Back