Sallie Mae Falsified Records

Mike in Texas 2

Jurisdiction
Texas
In 2004, Sallie Mae notifies me that they placed me in a school deferment and they claimed I was attending a college in Denver (I lived in Nebraska at the time) Problem was that I wasn't in school but was working and paying on my loans. I notified them that I was not in school and continued my payments. They called and said they would restore my account if I paid all of the interest and principal that accrued during the time or they would have to place me on forbearance. I did not have the money to do that so the forbearance continued. This went on for several years- "pay the interest and principal or you have to stay in forbearance".
Fast forward to last year when I saw some questionable accounting of my payments. Sallie Mae sent a summary of my account and all of the paper work but did not provide proof of the in school deferment which they maintained that I was in school. I reached out to the college and they have provided a letter stating that I never enrolled or attended school there at any time.
My question is do I have any recourse? I am under the impression that Sallie Mae falsified my in school deferment to force me into forbearance because I would not qualify otherwise with my income. I had no reason to do a forbearance because I made a good salary and was maintaining regular payments.
Thanks

And of course, this was all done deliberately to screw with you. There's no possibility whatsoever of a clerical error, someone else with a similar name, a typo that resulted in your records being inaccurate. The only possible reason for this to have happened was a deliberate falsification.

Nice way to be on the wrong side of a lawsuit.

Now, when you sent Sallie Mae the letter from the school that said you were not and never have been enrolled there, what did they say?

Thanks for responding. They have not responded yet with an answer.

And of course, this was all done deliberately to screw with you. There's no possibility whatsoever of a clerical error, someone else with a similar name, a typo that resulted in your records being inaccurate. The only possible reason for this to have happened was a deliberate falsification.

Nice way to be on the wrong side of a lawsuit.

Now, when you sent Sallie Mae the letter from the school that said you were not and never have been enrolled there, what did they say?
have not responded

Then don't you think you might want to wait till you get one before you go throwing around potentially defamatory statements that might get you sued in front of the whole internet?

Back