Sale what you said

• Thread Starter I don't have a user
  • Start date
I

I don't have a user

Jurisdiction
Idaho
I am a high school student taking a government class. I was wondering about some laws in Idaho so I can do a project. When you sale something you have to sale the amount you said you would, to a certain degree. What is this law? I was wondering because my teacher said that a group in the past studied this, and found that Idaho doesn't have this law, or that the margin is so large. I have had a hard time finding anything on this subject, so anything you can tell me would be great. Even just the name of the law so I can go off of that.
-Thanks

When you sale something you have to sale the amount you said you would, to a certain degree.

Some scenarios come to mind.

You're shopping. An item is marked 5 cents. You take it to the checkout. The cashier scans it and says "Oh, no, this is 50 cents." With no intent to defraud there is nothing illegal about charging you the 50 cents.

You're selling a car for $3000. Somebody comes to your house and wants to buy. You say "I've changed my mind, I want $3500." There's no law against doing that but your buyer is likely to tell you where to go and he'll walk away.

A car dealer advertises a particular car (stock number 1243) for $10,000 and it's $5000 less than any comparable car he has on the lot. You go to buy it and get told it's been sold and the dealer sells you another car for more money. As you are leaving the lot you see stock number 1243 with a $10,000 price tag on the window. That's called Bait and Switch and is illegal.

There are so many ways a consumer can be cheated by businesses. Idaho has a Consumer Protection Act that addresses that kind of thing.

It's Title 48 Chapter 6:

2016 Idaho Statutes :: Title 48 - MONOPOLIES AND TRADE PRACTICES :: Chapter 6 - CONSUMER PROTECTION ACT

Start by studying that law and decide whether you want your project to generalize consumer protection or drill down to a specific aspect of consumer protection as there are likely other statutes that apply to specific types of businesses.

Put a link to this thread on your computer desktop so you can find it again and feel free to come back to it for additional discussion (don't open any new ones).

Thanks, I was looking more at internet sold to Idaho, and they are not giving the promised Mbytes or something to that extent. Say your buying a box labeled 12 doughnuts and there is only one inside. you can easily tell there is only one but the are still going to charge you the same amount.
This is just the beginning of our project and I'm doing researched into this topic to see if it is possible. The original thought was the horrible internet in Idaho and how to fix it, that is when my teacher mentioned that law.
Thanks, I will read into that, and check back here often asking questions if I have any more.

While the Consumer Protection Act is likely to help you in other areas it probably won't help you with the internet.

The internet is regulated by the Federal Communications Commission.

In 2015 the FCC adopted rules classifying broadband internet service as a utility. What that does for the consumer is anybody's guess. Here are some articles:

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/technology/net-neutrality-fcc-vote-internet-utility.html

FCC chair: New Internet service rules not even close to utility regulation

Open Internet

The Idaho Public Utilities Commission (according to its website at the bottom of the page) does not regulate internet service providers:

Idaho Public Utilities Commission - About the Commission

You have my sympathies about the horrible internet service in Idaho.

While not entirely horrible here in Arizona, I often have complaints about my internet service. The price keeps going up frequently with no improvement in service. There are occasional outages and slow downs. But the main ISP here is a virtual monopoly and, unfortunately, what little competition there is has no improvement in either price or service. I have tried finding comparable internet service for a lower price and got nowhere because the other ISPs have to use the main cable company's infra-structure. One company is installing fiber optic cable of its own in Phoenix but hasn't reached my neighborhood yet and even that company has its detractors.

Internet service is more a matter of contract than regulation and you'll probably find that a customer's contract with the ISP has a lot of disclaimers.

Thanks for all the help! Me and my group decided to work on some bad intersections in our county. So I don't need any information about this any more. We are able to easily find the laws for the roads design, and the legal information. Thanks for your help though.

Back