Salary exempt

Amalinowski

Jurisdiction
Illinois
I was working for a non profit in Illinois. I was salary exempt making $23,000 for about the first 8 months and then $30,000 the last 12 months I was there. I quit October of 2017 because I was burnt out working at least 60hrs a week and sometimes over 70 hours a week. Should I have really been salary exempt? I talked to one hr professional and they said no because I had no hiring oye firing authority. There are about 8-15 employees at my previous employer. Should I have been paid overtime?

You can easily look up FLSA exempt vs non-exempt. We don't know enough about your job duties to make that determination.

DON'T LINK to website, thank you, A site MOD
========================================================================
this was one positron that I held. another was closely to this but recreation coordinator

DON'T LINK to website, thank you, A site MOD
========================================================================
this was one positron that I held. another was closely to this but recreation coordinator

Please don't link to any website, as we don't want our posters to be exposed to any unnecessary risks.

If you think you were misclassified, you can contact a lawyer to discuss your concerns or:

The Illinois Department of Labor is the code department of the Illinois state government that is responsible for the administration and enforcement of more than 20 labor and safety laws.

Should I have really been salary exempt?

How should we know? You provided virtually no relevant facts.

I talked to one hr professional and they said no because I had no hiring oye firing authority.

That's hardly determinative of whether an employee is exempt or non-exempt (which is what I assume you're talking about when you refer to "salary exempt").

Should I have been paid overtime?

Again, we have no way of knowing.

I suggest you google "exempt or nonexempt" to get a basic understanding of the distinction and then form your own conclusion based on your job duties. Then, if you believe you were mis-classified, contact your state's department of labor.

There are multiple salary exempt classifications and only one of them requires that you have the ability to hire and fire. I agree with the above; without any information about your job duties there's no way for us to know if you were correctly classified or not.

Back