Ruth Bader Ginsburg died today at age 87.

QUESTION: Did Justice Ginsburg wear different collars depending on whether she agreed or disagreed with the court decision?

ANSWER: Yes, she did have specific collars for specific court decisions.

When asked about her fashion, Justice Ginsburg held up a black collar and said quote "Well this is my dissenting collar."

When Couric asked her why, Ginsburg said "It looks fitting for dissents."

Next, she held up what she called her majority opinion collar, saying: "So when I'm announcing an opinion for the court, this is the collar I wear, white for purity."

During a 2009 C-SPAN interview, Ginsburg showed off one of her favorite collars and explained that since the standard robe is made to show a man's shirt and tie, she and Sandra Day O'Connor decided they should include something feminine for their robes.

So I can verify, yes, RBG said she had different collars she wore depending on whether she had a dissenting opinion or delivered a majority opinion.

During a 2009 C-SPAN interview, Ginsburg showed off one of her favorite collars and explained that since the standard robe is made to show a man's shirt and tie, she and Sandra Day O'Connor decided they should include something feminine for their robes.

White if she agreed, black if she dissented.

Hmmm, I wonder?

I dare NOT answer myself, however.

agreecollar.png

disagreecollar.png

Back