Rules of protection orders

Kerentp2019

Jurisdiction
Kansas
I have been harassed by another female for the last few weeks. I obtained a protection order (temporary) last week and have a court date coming up soon.
I am one of the main volunteers at one of my children's groups and was told last night at at a function this person was going to arrive at the function before me so I wouldn't be able to attend. She also said she would continue doing this throughout the duration of the protection order even though she never chose to attend these functions in the past. I know the information I was govern is true because I was told this by multiple people including a family member of hers.
I didn't know this was a protection order "rule". I read the paperwork front to back twice and it never said anything about me having to leave if she was at a location first. It just said she wasn't allowed to be where I am or harass me on social media. It also states she isn't allowed to go where I go frequently. Me being a registered volunteer she knows I go to this specific place frequently.
My question is is this a protection order "rule"? Do I have to leave if she arrives first?

She is the restrained party, not you.
It is not a race to see who gets there first.
She has to stay from you, and may have to leave depending on the size of the venue.
If this should happen, try not to make a scene. You might speak with someone in charge of the event to ask her to leave, then call police to enforce the order if necessary. Make sure you have a copy of the order with you at all times.
In fact, you might even speak with local law enforcement about this and show them the order. It could be helpful to have them familiar with the problem if it is going to be an pinching issue.

Sounds like you're being told this by the organizer of the event. If the organizer of the event wants you to leave, that is his/her/its choice and has nothing to do with your restraining order.

If the other person is at a location she otherwise has a right to be, that you show up doesn't necessarily mean she has to leave. You can address this when the matter comes up for the next hearing.

Back