Roomate Roommates with Separate Leases

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolaman7

I moved into my three bedroom apartment with one other person, seven years ago, on a one-year lease. The roommate moved out years ago, and the landlord decided that each room should be rented separately. He told me how much to ask for, and I placed ads. When we found people, he executed leases with each person for the price he had decided upon for their rooms. One of the rooms has seen several tenants, all with their own leases. He never negotiated another lease with me, and my original lease expired six years ago.

He seems to feel that when someone moves out, it is my responsibility to find someone else to rent and take care of the paperwork with them. My feeling is that since he rented out the room and executed an agreement with the other tenant, the responsibility of the room should not revert to me when the other tenant moves out.

I have never agreed verbally, or in writing, to be his agent, or to take on any responsibility for the management of the property. I do, however, have proof of his leases with other tenants, and emails that explicitly state the rent amount for each tenant.

My question is: Who is right? Am I responsible for all the rent on the apartment whenever anyone else decides to move out, or is he responsible for the room, since he signed leases to which I was never a party? ...thanks.

Your original lease expired and some time after that the landlord changed the terms.
It sounds like you have regularly been paying a for just the one room. If the landlord wants you to pay more then you need proper notice of the rent increase. No, you are not at all responsible for finding a new roommate or doing any paperwork.
Under your original lease you may have been responsible for full rent if another roommate didn't pay up.However it seems you have a verbal lease agreement now after landlord changed the terms and rented rooms independent from your lease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back