roommates mom took our entire security deposit

ljrorie

Jurisdiction
Hawaii
My roommates mom took our entire security deposit and told me that she will not give me my portion of it back. The original deposit was $1600.00, of which I paid $800. My roomates mom said she had to hire a cleaning crew and that the landlord had subtracted the final utilities and cleaning fee which only left $900. My previous roommate refuses to answer or contact me back and her mom texted me saying, "if you don't like it, have your attorney contact mine." What do I do?

Your roommates mother apparently has no right to the money. Why didn't the landlord refund the money to you? Have you asked? Initiate a small claims case and obtain a judgment against her.
How long has it been since you moved out? Has anyone provided anything to you in writing that accounts for your deposit and any fees deducted?

Your roommates mother apparently has no right to the money. Why didn't the landlord refund the money to you? Have you asked? Initiate a small claims case and obtain a judgment against her.
How long has it been since you moved out? Has anyone provided anything to you in writing that accounts for your deposit and any fees deducted?

Thank you! I'm going to meet with the landlord today. I moved out on May 30 after cleaning bedroom and common areas. My roomate was still there when I left that day. Our lease was up on May 31.

Did you pay the deposit directly to the landlord, or did you pay your roommate who then paid landlord in full?
Landlords typically have 2-4 weeks to either provide your refund in full or a written account of fees explaining what the deposit was used for.
If you actually paid the money to your roommate you'll just have to settle it in court.

Thank you! I'm going to meet with the landlord today. I moved out on May 30 after cleaning bedroom and common areas. My roomate was still there when I left that day. Our lease was up on May 31.

You might have to take someone to small claims court.
Talking with the landlord is the best idea.
I suspect you'll learn that someone lied and may have obtained your portion for the deposit.
Let us know what you learn from your chat with the landlord.

Back