Roomate Roommate Threatened to Kill Me If I Didnt Vacate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

clstephens

Long story short. I was living with a roommate who under personal reasons threatened my life. He threatened to kill me if I did not vacate the leased property. My signature being on the lease, I was forced to vacate 2 months early. I left immediately to first remove myself from the danger, and to get a better view on the situation on the same day the multiple threats occurred. I do not know if calling local law enforcement will help the situation as it is now, as there were no witnesses other than myself and the roommate. The roommate in question is the nephew of my landlady as well, which I feel may complicate matters. My landlady at this point is still demanding rent money from me, even though her nephew threatened to kill me and force me from the property. From a legal standpoint, am I liable to pay my remaining 2 months rent if I was forced to leave under threat of death? What actions can I take that will help me in this situation? Any help or words are appreciated, but this matter is fairly urgent. Thank you very much for your time.

You have to pay rent. Why didn't you go straight to the Aunt, explain what was said? Then she could have talked to her nephew. Problem solved.. It's that simple

I told the landlady, she calls it "a disagreement" which I believe is quite the understatement, and claims it has nothing to do with me paying rent. She is also ignoring any of my other calls or messages.

If you received credible threats you should have notified law enforcement. Your failure to do so may have complicated things for you.
Under the circumstances you describe, assuming they are true, you actually believed the threats, and are not being overly dramatic, may relieve you of having to pay the rent. Nobody is required to remain in an environment where their life is in danger.
I would not pay. Let her bring a lawsuit and let a judge hear your defense and decide. Do not pay anything unless ordered to by the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back