Roomate Roommate right to choose tenant in CA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireless101

Hi there,

I withdrew from school and spoke with the landlord about having someone take over my lease. The landlord said I could find someone, but that the roommate needs to o.k. it.
(The lease is Aug.31, '08 - Aug. 31st, '09) I live in san diego, ca.

Well I found someone qualified, but the roommate said no because the applicant is a 21 year old student. I've been looking for a week and found only 1 person interested in taking over my lease.

We live near a university, but my roommate doesn't want to live with a student now.
She could spend weeks or months looking for a roommate to be "best friends" with and I would have to continue paying rent each month despite having moved back home.

She is looking for a roomie who's over 30 and she can be friends with. I am looking for someone responsible who can pay rent on time. :mad:

1) So can the roommate have all the say in choosing the next tenant?
2) Should I consult an attorney if the roommate isn't being reasonable?
3) What's a reasonable amount of time to find a roommate?

She is looking for a roomie who's over 30 and she can be friends with. I am looking for someone responsible who can pay rent on time. :mad:

Last edited:
Ask your self same question. Would you want just anyone as a roomate? Your problem is not the roomate issue its fact you signed a lease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back