Roomate Roommate problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

olddog3

I let a friend move in a couple of years ago because she was homeless. She is in her late fifties and I am 76. I am the owner of the home. She pays no rent, is on welfare (fraudently, by the way), has a private furnished room with private bath, full kitchen and laundry privileges and satellite TV with DVR. She helps around the house and claims this is equivalent to paying rent although no agreement to this effect exists. All the interior doors in my house have keyed locks for privacy. I found out she has replaced the lock on her bedroom door with one of her own to which she claims to have lost the key, and the keeps the room locked when she's at home (I have only entered that room once since she moved in). I worry that in the event of an emergency I won't have access to the room and this could be a danger to either or both of us, especially if the emergency has left her unable to come to the door. Can she legally keep me locked out of a room in my own personal residence?

I know you were trying to help a friend but you should never let anyone move in without some type of agreement or lease drawn up.

Tell her not to lock the door or get a new lock & a key for you. You might (though I hate to say it) consider going through the eviction process & get her out of your home. It seems she has the better deal here.

OP, she'll never comply with any request or rule you establish.
I suggest you begin eviction proceedings.
That door isn't locked so that she can pray, study religious thought, or do anything positive.
frankly, your life and safety may in jeopardy because she lingers on your property and in your home.

Start the eviction process immediately.
I suggest you hire a lawyer to do it for you.

Why?

To make sure its business, and doesn't involve emotion or friendship.

Oh, you're in CA, so that makes it even worse for you.

Get yourself an eviction lawyer and have him or her get that creature out of there, ASAP.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/evictions.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back