Roommate problem, what options are available to break the lease?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hp2407

My jurisdiction is: virginia

Hi,
I have a problem with my roommate about breaking a lease. We both jointly signed a one year lease and its' been only 4 months on this apartment and we're having some issues. I got married and I want to move out in a 1 bed room apt. So, i talked to my roommate and she said she doesn't want to break the lease. So, i offered her three options, which are:

1. Break the lease and both of us pay half and half (2 months rent)
- She doesn't want to pay any money and indeed forcing me to pay 2 months rent to break the lease.

2. Either of us goes for a 1 bed room apt. in the same property by downgrading from 2BRK to 1BRK for 4 months lease option and receive the rent difference from another roommate and make him/her free from the lease. The rent for 1 bed room is $1500.00/month for 4 months lease. So, what i asked her is you pay $300.00/per month and get off from the lease. So, she doesn't approve on this and say why should i pay the difference? I'll pay the transfer fee which is $350.00 and get off from this lease. Basically, she is blackmailing me by doing all these as she knew that I want to break the lease. Also, I told her you occupy 1 BRK apt. and I'll pay the $300.00/month to you as the difference and free me from the lease. But, she doesn't approve this as well.

3. I talked to her to put a replacement roommate but she says she won't accept this new roommate as well as she doesn't want to live with anybody.

Could someone help me solving my problem? as I am bit tensed due to this lease problem and my wife is joining me very soon who is in some other country and doesn't know whats happening at my end. I cannot continue living with this woman as she is too loud, high-tempered, and fights with me for any small thing which is totally unbearable and unacceptable to me.

Please help me out.

Thanks,

HP.

Number 3 would seem to be the best option.

She has a valid point in terms of why should she have to pay extra when it's you that wants to break the lease.

Frankly, I'd be discussing the issue of getting another person to take over the lease with the landlord. That's really the person who needs to approve this.

Gail

Gail,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is she doesn't want to move out as well as she doesn't want anybody as my replacement. She is absolutely in a fighting mood with me without any reason and I don't know why she is behaving like this as both of us wanted to move out of this apt. before one month, now she changed her mood and not accepting any options I described her. I told her that Its' good for both of us if we end up here mutually since we fight with each other on this lease thing every day, involving various people to solve this matter but she is not ready to compromise on anything instead she threats me to take legal action and I am in no mood to go to court for this matter as I have other things to do in life.

Do you think i should ask her to move out of the apt. with a new person taking over her place?

Thanks,

Himanshu

Gail,

By the way, she is now taking an advantage of me that its' only me who wants to break the lease indeed, she too wanted to break the lease a month back when i went back to my home country for 1 month. She changed her mind and now blaming me only that i want to break the lease....what to do?

I'm confused on what you really want to do .

Initially you said you wanted to move out into a one bedroom apartment with your new wife.

So...why do you want her to move out now?

Again, you need to discuss this issue with your landlord. That person is the one who should approve your getting another tenant to take over YOUR share of the rent. That person is also the one who can sue you should you break your lease early.

People typically go to court to sue another over financial matters. If your landlord agrees that you can find another tenant to take over your portion of the rent...and you do...then your roommate has no real argument that she's out any rent money by this change. What can she sue you for?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back