Roommate moved out and left lots of belongings?

Stumpedin22

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Greetings,

My roommate, who never signed the lease, moved out several years ago with a verbal agreement to keep helping with the cost of living here. Since 2022 they have stopped all payments. What is the legal status of the belongings that were left behind? Can I sell it to help cover the costs?

Any info is much appreciated, thanks for your time!

"What have you done so far?
Have you talked to him about the property?
What did he say?
What types of items are there?"

Nothing has been done so far. No talk about the property. Clothes, appliances, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
My roommate, who never signed the lease, moved out several years ago with a verbal agreement to keep helping with the cost of living here.

How many is "several years"? How long did he/she agree "to keep helping with the cost of living there," and what exactly were the parameters of this agreement? When exactly did the payments stop?

Since this person never signed the lease, why would he/she make such an agreement?

What is the legal status of the belongings that were left behind? Can I sell it to help cover the costs?

You will need to give a written notice pursuant to your state's abandoned property law. If he/she doesn't pick up the stuff after whatever period of time is required by the law, then you will be free to dispose of it.

"What have you done so far?
Have you talked to him about the property?
What did he say?
What types of items are there?"

Nothing has been done so far. No talk about the property. Clothes, appliances, etc...

Might as well get in touch and talk about. You'll have to do "legal" stuff before you can keep or sell the items. Things like written notification or maybe going to court.

Back