Breaking a Lease Roommate issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

00112233S

So an ex-roommate of mine and her bf decided that the apartment wasn't big enough for the 3 of us, more so the bf didn't like me, and I was asked to leave. I said that was fine and moved out the last day of the month. I refused to pay for the next months rent because I wasn't going to be living there and she had asked me to leave. I told the leasing agency to contact me if I owed any money and make a note for when I was no longer living there.

Three months later I get a text saying she wants "my" half of rent because she never signed me off the lease and is threatening to sue.

My question is, does she have grounds to sue, and if so, how do I defend myself. I don't believe it's right to keep me on the lease and call up whenever she wants money and doubt it's lawful.

Please help.

If your name is on the lease, you can be held responsible to the leasing office or landlord I the rent was not paid. Where that money comes from is between you and the roommate. I'd ignore her demands. I don't see her taking this to court or prevailing unless you had a written contract between you indicating how much you would pay each month, even if you moved out.

So an ex-roommate of mine and her bf decided that the apartment wasn't big enough for the 3 of us, more so the bf didn't like me, and I was asked to leave. I said that was fine and moved out the last day of the month. I refused to pay for the next months rent because I wasn't going to be living there and she had asked me to leave. I told the leasing agency to contact me if I owed any money and make a note for when I was no longer living there.

Three months later I get a text saying she wants "my" half of rent because she never signed me off the lease and is threatening to sue.

My question is, does she have grounds to sue, and if so, how do I defend myself. I don't believe it's right to keep me on the lease and call up whenever she wants money and doubt it's lawful.

Please help.

Had you NOT been requested to leave, she might have a leg to stand on in a small claims alwsuit.
You were forced out, and that will be your best defense if she sues you.
I suggest you NOT respond to her demands for money.
If she sues you, you'll be properly served by a deputy or marshal.
You go to court and tell your story that you were ordered to leave.
You left at her request to avoid drama and to keep the peace.
Otherwise, live your life, and avoid any and all roommate situations.
You left home because you wanted to be the boss of you, so get your own place and be your own boss of your life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back