roommate gave me 3 weeks oral notice to move out & i have a toddler

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleywalrath

my roommate gave us about 3 weeks ORAL notice to find another place because she wants to move out. apparently the landlord does not know we are renting a room from her. we are a couple with a toddler and cannot find a place in such short notice. plus she wants to prorate the 7 days that would of made it almost a 30 day notice. what are my options? i am 2 days into prorated status

You are under absolutely NO obligation to move without the court says you must move.

Don't be bullied - there are laws to be followed.

You have not been notified legally, per California tenant laws (a landlord must give you written notice) and the Sheriff absolutely not force you out unless there's a court order in his hands.

It is in your best interest to leave before you are evicted. You don't want it to go that far.
Your roommate can pack her bags and leave you behind- if you remain you are the landlord's problem.
Consider speaking with the landlord to notify your presence and ask to remain on a new lease. If you can't afford it on your own then do yourself a favor and find a new place immediately, but know that you can not be legally forced out before a court evicts you and you can still stretch it beyond 30 days.

Another thought, the landlord can not turn off utilities to force you out, but if utilities are in the other tenants name and she closes accounts when she moves then you might find yourself in the dark.

Also, please start looking right away. While I am not disagreeing with the others, if the landlord wants you gone and you do not have a lease, sooner or later you will be gone. While you do have to be given proper notice and you can wait for a court to say you have to leave, there is NO chance that a court will say you get to stay. None. It's only a question of how long the court allows you to stay, and it will NOT be indefinite. So please start looking for a place so that you can leave on your own terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back