Roomate Roommate evictions and lock changes

RLDuhart

I had moved in with a girl that I've been dating for a 1 1/2 years and everything was going great. At first I was just staying there occasionally, I still had my own apartment, but I was helping her with her rent. Actually I was paying most of the bills in her apartment. I had finally moved in with her August 2014 and then completely gave up my apartment in November. I even changed the address on my license changed and had my mail sent here. Well, no sooner had I given up my apartment then I then started to see her true colors and things went downhill very quickly. Now she wants me out and is making it very miserable for me. She keeps asking when I am going to move out and I tell her soon, real soon. Mind you I AM desperately looking for a place ASAP! She told me that if I was not out by March 5 she was going to change the locks. Then very recently she told me if I was not out by Monday, the 2nd, she was going to change the locks. She went from giving me March 5th to move out to March 2nd.

CAN SHE DO THIS?!

The thing is, I'm not sure if HER name is even on the lease. Although, I do know for a fact that someone she use to date got the apartment for her because she couldn't afford it, but she and that person do not speak at all. But if her name is on the lease can she change the locks on me? I am not on the lease but we do/did have a verbal agreement that we would spit all the bills. But I am the one who is paying ALL the bills. She had gone out of town for a length of time and had asked me pay the rent because she didn't have her half of the rent and she would pay me back. She didn't. A friend of mine had said that even if I'm not on the lease and I have been living here for a good while, since August 2014, that she would still have to give me sixty (60) notice move out because I am a "tenant at will" and that it has to be a written notice and served so there's proof of everything. And on top of that, she CANNOT change the locks on me legally. So here are my questions:

1) Can this person just put me out of the apartment without notice?
and if not,
2) Does she have to give me sixty (60) days?
and lastly, for now,
3) Can she just change the locks on me legally?

I am moving. I want to get away from this person as soon as possible. WHAT LEGAL GROUNDS TO I HAVE?!

PLEASE HELP! I don't know what to do and I'm freaking out!

Legally she must use the court system to evict you. She's not legally permitted to throw you out, change the locks, etc...

Legally she must give you written notice to vacate. If you ignore the WRITTEN notice, she must then file with the court, you'll be served and you both tell the judge.

You don't even want her to file. The mere filing of an eviction (with a court) will impact your ability to rent a decent apartment or home for decades. If you need time, leave ASAP, avoid the coming drama and storm.

Yes, it takes time to secure an apartment and money. Leave and stay with a friend, a relative, a hotel room, but get out ASAP. Don't worry if she can legally evict it. That's a point NOT worth proving. Save yourself, don't let this destroy you.

Back