roomates giving me a hard time

Status
Not open for further replies.

newyorker

two years ago i had moved in with two friends. only one of us could sign the lease, because my landlord is smart and doesnt want to deal with roomate issues. originally one of my roomates signed the lease. we all chipped in equally for the security deposit and split rent equally. she and the other roomate have since left and i have taken over the lease and have had a few roomates since the original two. the way we have worked it is that when one person is leaving and one is moving in the person moving in reimburses the person leaving for the portion of the security deposit which the landlord still holds. right now im in a position where i felt i could not live in my situation any more, as my roomates have a different lifestyle which is disrupting many aspects of my life (work, relationships, sleep) and its overall not healthy for me and i feel i have every right to express that. originally i was going to try to work out a sublet for them, or find a way to work on a solution that could work out for all of us. they wouldnt hear it. i have since asked them to just get out and they have been very resistent, saying i dont have to make them do anything, or they dont have to give me thirty days notice and so on. i told them that if they and their things are still there taking up space, putting me in a postion where i cant find other roomates even if i wanted to , then they have to pay me the rent. (i have an email of this saved.) they said they have left rent for me but i have not seen the checks. im currently not staying there until they leave. im not sure if in retaliation for me asking them to leave, that they have taken the checks back. i still hold their portion of the security deposit, which new roomates would pay to me and i would pay back to the people leaving. i cant afford to pay the rent all by myself and i know that is my responsibility and only my responsibility to the landlord. this situation is getting uglier with each passing day, im getting slandered by them over the internet publicly, threats (not physically) but basically that they can make my life a living hell, they have damaged some things of mine at the apartment and im afraid that if they are as much of loose cannons as i think they are i might get punched or something. needless to say, i dont know if ill see any money for rent or utilities. i want to know if it comes down to it, if i have any legal rights to keep the security deposit money or if they can come after me for it if i keep it because they havent payed their rent. what are the chances of a judge ruling in their favor? i have email correspodence in which proves i try to handle things like and adult but get back nasty emails insulting my character and where they are becoming threatening. text messeges they have sent me with dates and times and their phone numbers saying they will be out by a certain date, pictures of what they have broken (this which arent expensive but showing that they are hostile.) is this enough evidence or legitimate evidence if i have to take legal action to get reimbursed for the rent? time is running out and i need help fast, at least i dont start telling them things i cant back up legally. writing a check my butt cant cash essencially. id appreciate the help thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back