Roomate Roomate won't leave

Status
Not open for further replies.

ayah3698

Situation:
Roommate signed a nine month lease with my boyfriend. Lease ended in September. In August, roommate, boyfriend and I signed an amendment to lease stating that roommate would be out by September and it would only be boyfriend and I on lease. The lease states that it is trespassing if he is living in the apartment for longer than 7 days at a time, which he has been. He also signed a paper giving up his rights to the apartment. Property manager says we can make him leave. He won't turn over keys or gate pass. Cops say we can't. We called the cops one night when he threw a fit about us trying to get him to move out. Another night when the door was locked, after he had been MIA for two weeks (without saying a word to us, the leaseholders), he called them on us. Cops made us let him into the apartment last night even though he had no proof that he lived here. Property manager says this is not allowed. Please help! He has been giving us notice of leaving since September, he is still here. He has the means to live elsewhere but does not pay us rent.

Sounds like formal eviction proceedings are required here (cops will usually NOT touch these cases, arguing that they are civil, not criminal in nature; this is especially true if there is no evidence from the court that a judgement for eviction has been made).

Is the property manager willing to begin this process (typically starts with a formal notice from the landlord to vacate the premises)?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back