Roomate Roomate will not break leaae

Status
Not open for further replies.

unl09

I am wanting to get out of my lease that my roommate and I signed. The leasing office said we could however my roommate will not move, will not sign the lease over to herself. She will not find someone else to take my spot. I want out of this due to her not paying bills on time after I gave her money. Can She does this? Even though we both signed the lease and one party wants out while the other doesn't can that one that doesn't want to force the other to stay?

having a similar issue

I'm having a similar issue. After months of trying to improve a bad living situation, I told my roommate that I no longer wanted to share a place with her. I told her I was prepared to take over the lease by myself or move out and find her a new roommate, or sign over the lease to her. She replied that this didn't suit her and that I was bound by the lease to pay to the end of the term whether I live there or not, and she would sue me if I tried to end it.

This seems totally unreasonable to me. I called my landlord and though he was sympathetic and said he would agree to change the lease (to include a new roommate or have only one of us on the lease), he said we both have to agree to it. She won't even speak to me. How do I get out of this? I am just really stuck with her for the other half of the year?

My chief complaints are unsanitary condition of her room and frequent noise that keeps me up at night. We have a standard NY rent-stabilized lease. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back