roomate refuses to pay rent and was never on the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjames

Hello, this is my problem. I subleased my apartment under the conditions that my friend would finish the lease from January until July 19. He chose not to take over the lease and renew the lease therefore he knew he had to be out by July 19. Had he given advanced notice another tenant could have potentially been subletted to. I decided to move out 2 months early because my new lease at my new apartment over lapped and I decided to live at my new residence. I continued to pay my portion of the rent and allowed my subletter to continue to live at my original apartment. I also continued to pay my portion of the utilities as I had promised. He found a new place to live and and moved out july 1st 2008 without notifying me. He did not give me 30 days notice and refuses to pay the rent for the month of july. He paid for one day of rent in July because his stuff was still there and refused to pay for the rest of the month. Is he responsible for paying the rent for july even though he was never on the lease?

He was "your" tenant and subject to your states laws on renting. Withuot notice in most cases the departed tenant owes that months rent. So yes he owes you. However the only way your going to get it is to sue him in small claims court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back