Roomate roomate moved out - now suing me and i'm not on the lease

Status
Not open for further replies.

cml1978

I moved in with my roomate in october of 2007 and she never added me to the lease, even when she renewed it in February 2008 without telling me. About a week before May, her and her boyfriend decided to move because they found a house they wanted and had no intention of paying may rent. I stayed, though not on the lease, and continued to pay rent monthly. She never maintained contact with me until she got word I would be moving in September. She found out from me in July that I would be moving the first week of september, but did not notify the apartments until late august, therefore they still required september's rent. I did not pay it because my name was not on the lease and I was not living there. She now wants to take me to small claims court and I'm wondering if she has a case. This is based in texas. Thank you so much!

Because you paid rent on this unit (and without a lease) you are considered a month to month tenant. This typically requires a 30 day notice that one wishes to vacate the unit.

You write that she found out from you in July that you would be moving the first week of September. Was this in writing with you keeping a copy so you can argue in court that you gave her adequate notice?

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back