Roomate didn't pay rent, I am being evicted in 7 days. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eltram

My roomate decided to move out and not pay her half of the rent since February 2008. I continued making my payments since before rent was due and every chance I had I talked to my landlord asking about my status. She kept on telling me that is not my problem and to keep paying and I will be fine, the issue is between them and her. My lease expires at the end of July (about one month away) and I have received a rule to vacate or show cause under her name at my door. I have no way of getting in contact with my ex roomate. My name is not on the paper. I went to the landlord to ask her why is this happening since she told me I will be fine. She said because I am in full possession of the premises and she only receives half of the rent. So by the end of June I have to move out. She said even if I am evicted, I still need to pay the rent for July. To me that is not fair, I have always payed my half. Long time ago I even talked to them saying that I am willing to vacate if they end my lease and they refused. Now they are evicting me but want me to pay. I guess since I'm the last one in the house, I have to "turn off the lights and clean up", meaning pay her part? Do I still HAVE to pay the rent for July if I'm being evicted NOW? Please advice. Thank you!

Rent has to be paid in full or whomever is in Apartment can face eviction. If your concerned about the monies you have put out then you need to sue your former roommate.

The landlord agreed and told me I don't have to pay her rent since we both are in the lease. I am ok with being evicted, I was going to move out anyway, but do I need to pay the rent for the time after eviction until the end of the lease? Or I just leave and that's it?

If you leave before lease expires all who signed lease are responsible for rent for duration of lease or until place is rerented. Far as landlord telling you you dont have to pay rent (her half anyways) I would be skeptical of that. Why would he only want half rent when he has you on hook for whole rent or face eviction?

Then I guess it's eviction. What will happen to my roomate if she refuses to pay? What if I refuse to pay the last month? She just got away with it and left me in hell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back