Roomate abandoned/left apartment. Can I remove her from the lease? Keep her out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mashuga

My roommate abandoned the apartment. I know that I am responsible for all the rent, as is she. It is my understanding that when one abandons a leased property, the lease can be terminated by the landlord; but I'm a roomate, not a landlord.

My roommate has abandoned the apartment, in Chicago, and moved out of state. I want to remove her name from the lease or otherwise prevent her from rightfully entering the apartment because I believe she will steal my belongings. Further, I want to do so to prevent her from entering and bothering me or letting others into the apartment. Essentially I want her entry into this apartment to be a trespass.

Can a court declare she is no longer a tenant and issue an inunction, or instruct the landlord to rewrite the lease?
Is there any other means to effectuating my goal, which is to take away her right to enter?

After I have her name removed from lease, is she still liable for her share of the rent after she no longer has access to the apartment and is not on the lease? Or does erasing her from the lease preclude me from holding her liable for the remainder of the lease?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back