Room-mate issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrnhrt

Hi,

My boyfriend and I have leased a trailer. He and I are the only lease signers. We allowed a roomate to stay with us provided he got a job and contributed to some of the rental cost (1/3 of the expenses or what ever he could contribute) He held a job for a few weeks then was fired. It has been two months since he even tried to look for a job. My boyfriend and I agree he is not doing anything we agreed to and want him out of our home. He is listed on the lease as a person staying here. I have been researching legal information on what I have to do to get him out. Alot of the information I am finding is very vauge and ambiguous. I dont believe that My boyfriend and I are considered "landlords" since we haven't collected any money from him, nor do we actually own property that we are leasing to him. We are not "sublessors" because there is no lease areement between the roommate and us, it is a violation of our lease , and since he is listed on the lease as a resident that just doesnt seems to fit the definiton. He has done property damage to some doors, and I do consider his habits to be a risk to my health since he smokes in the house, against our will. The michigan eviction process which applies to landlords says I can give him a 7 day eviction notice (due to the health risk) however he can take the process to court if he wishes and in that case this could turn into a very long and expensive process. What are my options leagaly do I have to go by the law which applies to landlords or can my boyfriend and I just tell him to get out and call the police to remove him if he gives us any difficulties. I want the shotest and easiest process available, as I am pregnant and tired of being stressed out over this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back