Rolling stop sign traffic ticket

Telemoney

Jurisdiction
New York
It has been a tough week on the road in our house. Just before my accident my son received a traffic ticket for a rolling stop at a stop sign. He swears that he was so close to a full stop that it was not distinguishable. He says that the police officer asked him what he did wrong and he really didn't know what the officer was referring to. So they got into a little argument and basically the officer decided to write a ticket and told him that he could fight it if he disagreed. I think he'll have to learn how to handle situations like these better, especially with a traffic cop. But by not admitting what the officer claims he did wrong makes me think at least he has a defense. If he admitted that he rolled a stop sign, even if he did not and just to pacify the officer, he probably wouldn't be able to fight the ticket. Can anyone give any advice we can use in traffic court?

He swears that he was so close to a full stop that it was not distinguishable.

Being "so close" to a full stop means that he DIDN'T make a full stop and it was certainly distinguishable to the police officer.

That he didn't admit to making a rolling stop doesn't give him any defense. The judge will believe the officer and not believe one of the thousands that parade through his courtroom saying they didn't do it.

I suggest that your son take traffic school if he is eligible (certainly appears that he needs it) and keep the citation off his record and out of the hands of your insurance company.

Back