Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft robbery

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmp0908

About two weeks ago someone broke into my house and stole just under $2000 worth of my property and cash. My entire neighborhood saw the crime and/or getaway and gave statements to the police. Due to prior threats i know exactly who did this and they not only told people they were going to do it, but then bragged about it afterwards. they live in the town next to mine and are currently under police surveillance in that town for two other burglaries. Basically the police are giving me the runaround; one day telling me there is nothing they can do because none of the witnesses gave a specific model of the car being driven and because only one of the suspects fingerprints are on file and they werent found in my house. the next day they call to tell me that they wont get away with this and that they know the suspects are lying. When I told them that someone told me that my property was in this persons house and he bragged about stealing it the police officer told me to do whatever i wanted aside from break into his house and steal it back to get my property; once i had the property back i could press charges, but until then there was nothing they could do because without the stolen property they couldnt get a warrant. Wouldnt the purpose of the warrant be to potentially find the stolen property??? I think that the evidence they have is enough probable cause to get a warrant, but they tell me it is not. Personally I think they are not taking this crime seriously and are lazy and have no intentions of pursuing it further. I am wondering what aspects of the legal process I am missing here. Needless to say, I consulted with a lawyer who suggested that i file a small claims suit to get back my property/money and that i could go to the courthouse and fill out an application of criminal complaint since the police werent doing anything. since it has only been two weeks since the incident i am wondering how long i should wait before i decide that i need to take matters into my own hands. Will my filing a criminal complaint and a suit in small claims court hinder what the police can do. If i file a criminal complaint can i talk to witnesses on my own in the areas that i think the police have ignored?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back