Criminal Law Robbery Criminal Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

marty1970

My husband and I have recently come into a little money and decided to treat ourselves and our boys(age 4 and 6) to a trip to Florida. My worry/problem is that my husband is now 35 years old and when he was 17 years old commited a robbery armed with a knife. NO-ONE was hurt in any way. He was sentenced to 2 years in prison and actually served just 9(nine) months. He has never been in trouble again and is now a respectable family man with full time employment.
My question is will this conviction prevent my husband from being able to obtain a ?B2 tourist visa for a 2 week holiday at disney?

Any help or advice would be gratefully appreciated as I long to visit America again as not been since 1992.

thanks for reading this

marty

Where did the crime happen?

Where are you living?

(I'd forego the vacation and invest the money.)

holiday help please

Where did the crime happen?

Where are you living?

(I'd forego the vacation and invest the money.)

Sorry forgot to add. We are both British and resident there all our lives. The crime happened in 1991 and is a spent conviction in the UK. He has never been in trouble with the police since then (learnt his lesson). When he was paroled the witnesses involved were consulted re early release and they had no objections to this as he was just a kid(17 at time of crime 18 when convicted) and no-one was injured.

thanks for your time in taking the trouble to answer this. It is much appreciated.

marty

Then invest the money and stay home.

This is not legal Advice!

I must admit, I have to agree here because of the type of crime and the prison sentence, you must be aware the USA has enough home grown ex-cons without inviting more in. This will be your situation. You will arrive in Orlando Sanford or Mco. Apon you arrival you will be finger printed and have your photos taken. Your details will all ready be there!! The immigration will most certainly put you on the next flight home, AT YOUR COST.

Why not try to euro Disney.

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, good luck.

Mark.

You know what, that ticks me off. What about getting a second chance? It's been bloody 17 years! So this person can never travel to the US ever again in his life?!
If it's the law, it's the law I guess... But do you personally agree to this?
It's so odd to me as a European how the US can preach about family values and being a good Christian, but on the other hand, treat people so badly and unforgivingly. To me it appears that people are forced by this culture to be "fake", i.e. present themselves as perfect because any deviation is punished immediately and harshly. Why is that and how does this benefit society? Help me understand please...

Hey sorry to here you are ticked off.
As for the system not being fare you are probably right. Do I agree with the system? It is not my veiw you need.

I agree to the fact that each case is individual and that some cases are worse than others but the problem lies in the UK system not making some kind of deal on your behalf.

Take Care

Mark

Speak with the US Embassy there and see if they have any information on such matters. Was his crime considered one as a juvenile or as an adult? If he was considered an adult there probably would be a problem getting a visa. By the way, what is a spent conviction? I wouldn't risk traveling until someone in authority gave you the information. Can the people who approve Visa's offer any assistance regarding your question? Don't they do background checks before granting a Visa? Or even if you have a Visa does the US do another background check? Maybe you can find the answers through the visa office and the American Embassy. Good luck and I hope you are able to go to Disney.

According to this website a spent conviction must be disclosed for a Visa but check with embassy
http://www.yourrights.org.uk/your-r...ehabilitation-of-offenders/going_abroad.shtml
Going abroad
The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 applies only to the United Kingdom and has no effect so far as the laws of other countries are concerned. This means, for example, that applicants for immigration and work permits or for visas to countries such as the USA will be under a duty to disclose spent convictions - unless the law of the relevant country has an Act similar to ours, in which case the extent of your duty will often be made clear on the application form. If in doubt about the law of the country concerned, ask their embassy or high commission in this country.

This question was answered already, armed robbery with a knife is not a mistermeaner and dose not come under the rehabilitaion act in the USA. The USA dose not recognise the rehabilitation act when it comes to crimes like this, trust me save your money and a day down the embassy because I know plenty of case's from the UK that have been turned down for a lot less.

It's your choice though, you can ring the embassy in London but it will cost you £10.00 a min to call.

Take Care

Mark

It may have been answered already but not answered very nicely or politely. Is this the way you treat all guest? Sometimes even when given advice, the advisee needs a reference point to be able to check it out for themselves. They don't know the people on the forum from a hill of beans and so simply saying something is so, isn't always enough.

calalily

Please do not take this the wrong way BUT

No.1 I do not have to justify my answer to you?

No.2 he asked for Advice and not a reference point.

No.3 I treat everyone the same even though this man was commited of armed robbery with a knife it is not my problem.

N0.4 There is no hill of beens to this Answer. It is factual, he takes a trip at his own risk. If he is caught he will be sent home FIRST CLASS at your tax payers expence! Deported criminals do not fly econommy class.

Sometimes answers are best kept black and white, due to the fact the convasations would drag on.

Anyway you do your thing and i will do mine, thats what this forum is for opinions.

Take care and please do not feel any mallice in my responce.

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back