Rights when questioning children

L

lakergurl

Jurisdiction
Nevada
My 15 month daughters dad made false alegations about child abuse due to some bruises that were on her. Two CPS workers questioned my 8 year old son at school with out my knowledge. There was no school officials in the office where they were questioning my child just the CPS workers. My son told them he wanted his mom there and they told him no! What are my rights as a parent?

http://nic.unlv.edu/pcan/files/CPS-ParentGuide.pdf

From looking through a Google search - CPS apparently has no obligation to notify the parents of an allegation or questioning the child. That would kind of defeat the purpose of investigating an abuse claim especially if it is the parent who abused a child.

From what I've read the school does not have to inform you. But it may depend on local laws or each state. I found answers on another lawyer forum that said CPS doesn't have to notify you nor does the school.

My 15 month daughters dad made false alegations about child abuse due to some bruises that were on her. Two CPS workers questioned my 8 year old son at school with out my knowledge. There was no school officials in the office where they were questioning my child just the CPS workers. My son told them he wanted his mom there and they told him no! What are my rights as a parent?

Make sure your children simply say nothing until you arrive.
That's very easy to accomplish.

It is "normal" for CPS to talk to children alone without parental influence. Its to ensure the children they can speak freely. Long as you (the parent) have done nothing wrong there is little to fear

Back