rights on writing a book

Status
Not open for further replies.

btucker

In writing a book about my life - do I have to have permission to use someones first name only, TV shows, and quotes like - what goes around comes around? What about mentioning people who are deceased?

In writing a book about my life - do I have to have permission to use someones first name only, TV shows, and quotes like - what goes around comes around? What about mentioning people who are deceased?

I don't think you should have a problem mentioning people or mentioning TV shows or quotes that would qualify as "fair use" (e.g., you can't simply include an entire 5 minute dialogue in your book.) Some states may have certain rights of publicity laws (check California especially) and you want to be extra careful about issues concerning defamation. Most of the issues arise when a name is used and the person takes objection to the author's take and claims that the statements were false, exaggerated and defamatory. Regardless, I would still be hiring an attorney to discuss. A good publisher should also be aware of the pitfalls. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back