Rights of adult children and parents

Status
Not open for further replies.

catsmeow2498

I just found this site and said what the heck I'll post on something I have wondered about. I am 23 years old and come from a very strict family. Currently I am living with other relatives who aren't my parents and supporting my own way of life. My parents are very controlling and selfish and have never wanted me to go out on my own and start a life. 2 weeks ago they have dug deeper in my privacy in unimaginable ways. My mother was able to get records of my cell phone calls from the business I am with. Also she had someone hack into my e-mail account to print off personal e-mails and things about my life. Is this legal? I know that parents have rights, but it seems bizarre to me the lengths my parents would go to when I am a pretty good person all grown up now. There was no permission on my part to get all of this information. Especially with the cell phone company which the account is in my name. Can people honestly get away with this if you are of legal age of being an adult? I can understand if I was a teen, but was just curious about the legality of all of this. This has caused me to trust in my family even less than they trust in me. It's just sick.

I don't see how what she has done is lawful, especially with regard to the probable fraudulent misrepresentation concerning your private information. In tort law there is an actionable theory called "intentional infliction of emotional distress" which is an act which the person performs with the knowledge and intent that it will cause someone emotional harm.

Depending upon the state, there can also be various criminal offenses, e.g. privacy rights, casting a person in a false light, etc.. Note also that unless your mother had some privilege or right to take your personal e-mails (e.g. she paid for the account and was the person of record), she could be culpable along with the hacker who stole your e-mails.

It sounds like there is a lot going on here. Publishing your e-mails... for what purpose? There is some history here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back