Right to work states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannyboy

I heard that some states have something called right to work. I am in New York State. Is this a right to work state? What does it mean? Does it mean that I have a right to work until I do something wrong that would justify my employer firing me?

New York is not a right to work state.

State right to work laws essentially require unionized workplaces to become "open shops". Open shops must allow employees to work, whether or not they join the associated unions or pay regular dues.

I might mention there is also at-will employment. Some employees get at-will employment & right to work mixed up. In at-will employment (all states, except Montana & in some situations it applies there), you can be terminated at any time for any reason (& generally no reason) except for a reason prohibited by law (such as race, religion, gender...). You're an at-will employee unless you have a binding employment contract or CBA to the contrary.

You also can quit for any reason you like at any time unless you have a binding contract to the contrary.

Here is a link on wrongful termination. It kind of goes along with at-will employment. What a lot of employees believe is a wrongful termination is not & that is even if you receive unemployment ins. for your termination.

http://employeeissues.com/wrongful_termination.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back