right to stay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

werreed

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Scenario:
My landlord has recently been "dating" a woman who I found out is a real estate agent. So I asked him if he plans on selling the house and he says, "OH Noooo".

Problem:
I fear he might not be telling me the truth, in order to keep me around until the last minute without giving me time to prepare for a move.

This has happened to me once in the past; I woke up one morning and strangers were in the house asking me what I was doing here! I was lucky to have a brother living close by who let me sleep at his apartment until I found another place to live.

Question:
Do I have any legal rights to stay in the house (if he sells without telling me), at least until I can find another home?

Yes.
You could have remained last time it happened too.
If the property ownership changes it does not change your lease. The new owner becomes your landlord and must end the lease properly or have cause to evict. Otherwise it is your home.

Thank you for reply mm.

I forgot to mention I don't have a lease. I've been here more than 10 years working as groundskeeper in exchange for living here. Does that change things?

I forgot to mention I don't have a lease. I've been here more than 10 years working as groundskeeper in exchange for living here. Does that change things?

Yes, in a big way. You are actually not a month to month tenant, you are an employee for whom the employer has provided lodging.

47a-30 Eviction of former farm employee, domestic servant, caretaker, manager or other employee.

(a) When any farm employee or any domestic servant, caretaker, manager or other employee as described in section 47a-36 occupies a dwelling, dwelling unit or tenement furnished by his employer and when his employment is terminated by himself or his employer, or such employee fails to report for employment, and fails to vacate the premises in which he is residing, he shall be given not less than three days' notice to quit possession of such premises on the form prescribed by section 47a-23.

(b) If he fails, after the expiration of the period specified in such notice, to vacate such premises, an action of summary process may be brought against such employee.

(c) At the summary process hearing, the court may take into account the needs of the employee and enter a judgment granting such stay of execution as is reasonable and fair to the parties but, notwithstanding the provisions of section 47a-36, in no case more than fifteen days. The provisions of sections 47a-37 to 47a-39, inclusive, shall not apply to an action of summary process under the provisions of this section.

2015 Connecticut General Statutes :: Title 47a - Landlord and Tenant :: Chapter 832 - Summary Process :: Section 47a-30 - (Formerly Sec. 52-538). Eviction of former farm employee, domestic servant, caretaker, manager or other employee.

Do I have any legal rights to stay in the house (if he sells without telling me), at least until I can find another home?

If you have a lease for a specified term, you have the right to stay in the home until the lease term expires. If you're a month-to-month tenant, you can be evicted simply by the landlord giving you notice to quit. I don't know how many days is required under Connecticut law, but I'm sure you can find that by googling.

I'm not sure how you make the leap from dating a real estate agent to selling the property without notice. Agents don't generally use Match.com to look for clients. Most people don't sell a piece of property simply because their dating someone capable of facilitating the process.

+ElleMD the "leap" , I'm making (or 2+2=5), is maybe because she looks around 30 years younger than he, and the house has 8 bedrooms plus a 4 car garage, 51 foot pool, comfortable finished basement apartment (where I live) on about 2 acres of land in an upscale neighborhood in Fairfield County . .

this is scary to me because I went to the local housing authority looking for low-income senior citizen housing, before I wrote my OP, and I can't even get on the list yet, and I can't afford an apartment at today's rates . . so "if" this does happen, I will be homeless.

+ Mr. "army judge"
I'm glad you find this amusing. Maybe someday you'll find yourself in a potentially miserable situation and someone LOL's you. Maybe when your day comes, God will judge you by your own standards!

see Proverbs 17:5
Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth his Maker: and he that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished.

Still nothing to even hint that he would sell his property, let alone do so because he is dating an agent.

Your situation is what it is, but the reality is that you appear to be subject to eviction upon very short notice, whether or not your current landlord/employer sells or doesn't sell the property. Therefore, you either need to take steps to secure a long term situation or relocate. Fairfield County, Connecticut is one of the most affluent counties in the United States, so it's not too surprising that low cost housing is difficult to find.

Thank you all for replies . . with the help of some friends, a solution has been reached.

By the way . .

Many years ago, I used to stop in a local diner, and there was a nutjob (smelled bad; like a dirty drunk) who would show up every now and then, known as 'da judge'. He claimed he was in 'nam' 4 years and people were trying to kill him every day . . I later found out the 'nam' he spoke of was the nickname for a state mental hospital, and the 'people who were trying to kill him every day' was the staff forcibly sedating him as frequently as necessary..

Hmmm . .

I wonder if . . .

Naaah . .

Proverbs 13:4
The soul of the sluggard craves and gets nothing, while the soul of the diligent is richly supplied.

Thread has served it's purpose....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back