Right to review personnel file-Former Gov't State Employee

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I was recently employed by a state agency and was separated from my job in 2012. Since I have left this agency I have had a hard time gaining employment in my field. Upon leaving this agency I was informed by the Human Resource Manager that there was nothing negative in my file.; however, I believe that this is not true and am certain that there is negative information within my file that is impacting my job search. How do I find out for certain if this is the case and correct this information if it is not true? I have gone online and searched whether a former employee has the right to see their personnel file in the state of Georgia and found that only Public employees has that right, who I assume still works within an agency. I was a Public employee, but am wondering whether or not a Public employee that no longer works at an agency has the same right. I should have the right to dispute information in my personnel file if I feel it is severly damaging regarding applying for a job and otherwise to which I have actually been experiencing for almost two years since my departure. Can I not pursue a request under the Open Records Act of Georgia since I have read that a public personnel file is part of public record? Is this correct?

I was recently employed by a state agency and was separated from my job in 2012. Since I have left this agency I have had a hard time gaining employment in my field. Upon leaving this agency I was informed by the Human Resource Manager that there was nothing negative in my file.; however, I believe that this is not true and am certain that there is negative information within my file that is impacting my job search. How do I find out for certain if this is the case and correct this information if it is not true? I have gone online and searched whether a former employee has the right to see their personnel file in the state of Georgia and found that only Public employees has that right, who I assume still works within an agency. I was a Public employee, but am wondering whether or not a Public employee that no longer works at an agency has the same right. I should have the right to dispute information in my personnel file if I feel it is severly damaging regarding applying for a job and otherwise to which I have actually been experiencing for almost two years since my departure. Can I not pursue a request under the Open Records Act of Georgia since I have read that a public personnel file is part of public record? Is this correct?

You can try, but they can ignore you.

You can take the matter before a court, and could possibly prevail.

Let's assume for discussion purposes, you achieve your goal, state your case, and it is so enetered on yoru record, also assuming the record contains a negative comment.

Now what? So what?

Why would an a future employer even see the comment, or if they did, why would they believe your version over the other alleged (employer) version?

The prospective employer wouldn't, would they?

So, why bother or worry over it?

As an example, read this these policies and information:

http://managers.hr.gsu.edu/files/gr...7b0161de291608bc/2013/04/EmployeeHandbook.pdf

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/employee-rights-book/chapter9-6.html

For those EEs that belong to unions, more help, but public EEs have certain rights:

http://www.canmybossdothat.com/category.php?id=281&state=GA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back