Other Green Card Issue Revoke Green Card Please Help!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phila3

I got married in November 2004 to U.S. citizen. In august 2007 I got Green Card for 10 years. We divorsed in December 2007. Married in good faith and in January 2006 our daughter was born. Recently, 31 of March 2010 I got letter from immigration which says, that we divorced Dec.11.2007 and it also says that on Dec.13.2007 form I-751 was aprooved by error. It been 2 years since we got divorced, and so suddenly they want to take my permanent resident status from me. I am single mother and I can't afford lawyer. I did all my paperwork in Virginia and now I live in PA. I have no criminal. Please, help me is this is something I have to worry about or not? Thank you

This is a serious matter and you need to take care of it. You don't have much of a choice but to get an attorney. You were illegal for at least 3 years before you received your greencard. That likely prevented you from getting the greencard because of a law that was passed in 1998 which barred you from applying because you overstayed a visa. I've done some research recently and there are ways of getting around it, but you have to apply for a waiver which you apparently didn't do.

Your saving grace is that you gave birth to a baby who is a US Citizen. So, while you are technically an illegal alien because you have no greencard, your child is a US Citizen and can not be deported. The US Government is not going to separate you and your child so by default you cannot be deported either.

You need to reapply for a greencard on the basis of being the mother of a US Citizen. An attorney for this will cost you between 500-1000 dollars. I would highly recommend it. Your process will go much smoother with an attorney. Doing this yourself will only cause you trouble.

Sometimes hiring an attorney is like a medical expense. It doesn't matter if you have the money to do it, you have to do it. This is one of those times.

Thank you, for your reply. But I did not overstayed my visa. I came as fiance, K1 visa, we got married and I got green card for 2 years, after that I got green card for 10 years, we were still married. Since I am in U.S. everything was legal and all paper work in timely manner. In 2008 I applyed for U.S. citizenship, but Immigration denied it, because I was already divorced. I sent application with my divorce certificate, I did not hide anything or lieying about anything. I had an interview where Immigration officer said that I will not get U.S. citizenship right now, because we divorce, but I can applied in 2010 as green card holder for 5 years. I was so happy that I can apply for citizenship in 2010 and now I got that letter , which is totally confused me. What I did wrong? The letter said on dec13 2007 form I-751 was approved by error, but in aug. 2007 I already have green card for 10 years. I understand that hire a lawyer will be the best thing to do. But I don't understand what I did wrong???

Given that information I don't think you did anything wrong. I think they have made a mistake. However, fixing it yourself is going to be very difficult. Another option is to write your US Senator's office with this problem. They will make inquiries on your behalf that will get you above the low man on the totem pole line and to someone who can actually think within the system for you.

Try writing to a Senator. You have two: Senator Jim Web and Senator Mark Warner. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back