Return from continuous FMLA for 2 days, then out again

N

Nanna

Jurisdiction
Maryland
I have been on continuous FMLA - 7 weeks post-op from neck surgery for cervical radiculopathy. Upon a doctor visit last week, I told my doctor that I felt that I could return to work on a part-time basis. My supervisor agreed to let me come back part-time, then gradually work up to my full-time status. My doctor agreed to this, and said he would provide a return to work note detailing this.

About three days after stopping my pain meds, I realized that my pain was a little worse than I thought. I am supposed to go back to work this Thursday, starting out at 4-hours per day. My question is, if I provide a return to work note from my doctor, and start my work day, then find out that the pain is intolerable and need more time off, do I need to have my doctor fill out an entirely new FMLA form, or will the one provided at the time of my surgery, which states I will be out for 12 weeks, still be in effect?

Thank you.

Your employer could choose to honor the original form, but would also be within their rights to request you provide a new one.

Agree -employer's decision.

Back