1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Retroactive Signing a Lease Extension, Renewal

Discussion in 'Rental Agreements & Subleases' started by Kaniger, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Kaniger

Kaniger Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    I am a Senior, live in a rent stabilized apartment in "Section 8" building. My last Lease expired in 2010 (sic!). Since then, the Landlord has not sent me Lease Renewal Forms and has not increased my rent. On January 16, 2021 I received a new Lease Form for the period of residency from October 1, 2020 to September 31, 2021. Should I sign that Lease (retroactively) or should I insist on another Lease sent to me at least 90 days before the commencement of that another Lease?

2. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Entirely up to you, and none of the anonymous strangers who post here - none of whom have read the proposed lease and many of whom are not lawyers - could possibly have an informed opinion either way.

That said, for what possible reason would you want it "sent to [you] at least 90 days before the commencement" date?

3. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator