Retroactive child support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andreama

My sons father and I weren't married. He would not sign birth certificate, and moved. I was on public assistance, but at age 10, ky had me give them his fathers name, and DNA proved he was the father. He still never wanted to see or support my son. At age 15, I have applied for support for my son. Several months later the child support office sent a letter that his father supplied check stubs and what my son's support would be. I have to agree to this or take it to court. What are the possibilities of receiving back support for my son, since at 10yrs old his father was proven.? Since in a divorce situation, you will get in trouble if you don't pay support until divorce is finalized. And can he be made to provide insurance without going to court? Much more info but i need direction. Thanks

My sons father and I weren't married. He would not sign birth certificate, and moved. I was on public assistance, but at age 10, ky had me give them his fathers name, and DNA proved he was the father. He still never wanted to see or support my son. At age 15, I have applied for support for my son. Several months later the child support office sent a letter that his father supplied check stubs and what my son's support would be. I have to agree to this or take it to court. What are the possibilities of receiving back support for my son, since at 10yrs old his father was proven.? Since in a divorce situation, you will get in trouble if you don't pay support until divorce is finalized. And can he be made to provide insurance without going to court? Much more info but i need direction. Thanks

You need to discuss this with a lawyer (or two or three) in your county.

Essentially, SOME back support is possible, but not 10 years worth.

Normally, two to three years is often awarded, but that depends on many things.

I suggest you work with the State of KY Child Enforcement/Collection Agency to get this child support order created and the cash flowing.

The state agent will provide you with the information you are seeking, in the meantime, educate yourself.

You can even start things by calling them:

Child Support Enforcement Hotline

(800) 248-1163

Available 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Eastern time

http://chfs.ky.gov/dis/cse.htm

https://csws.chfs.ky.gov/csws/

Child support enforcement services are automatically provided to current and former recipients of K-TAP and public medical assistance. Your K-TAP caseworker will refer your case to the appropriate child support office.

If you are not receiving K-TAP or medical assistance, you can apply for child support enforcement services on the Kentucky Child Support Interactive Website.

You weren't married. No, he cannot be forced to do anything unless there's a court order in place and even then, generally the NCP is only ordered to pay what is reasonable for insurance. If he cannot get insurance through his employer, the chances of him having to pay at all drop dramatically.

Thank you

You weren't married. No, he cannot be forced to do anything unless there's a court order in place and even then, generally the NCP is only ordered to pay what is reasonable for insurance. If he cannot get insurance through his employer, the chances of him having to pay at all drop dramatically.

I understand that he don't have to pay unless its court ordered. And since he didn't want anything to do with my son, I didn't want to force my son to visit such a deadbeat dad.so no, I never filled for child support. I was just asking since the state required him to take a DNA test, and it proved he was the father, that it might mean something since it was court ordered. The child support office said they would take the father to court for past medical bills that they paid for since the DNA test also. The only reason I'm asking for support now, besides the fact my son is 15, is that my son doesn't have to visit him, and has said he would tell a judge that he would not go there. But a question about insurance. Since it's now required for everyone to have insurance, or obamacare, how does that come into play. I don't have a job, and cannot work. But do not draw anything. He would be the only parent with a job. Will my son just loose his medical card?

I understand that he don't have to pay unless its court ordered. And since he didn't want anything to do with my son, I didn't want to force my son to visit such a deadbeat dad.so no, I never filled for child support. I was just asking since the state required him to take a DNA test, and it proved he was the father, that it might mean something since it was court ordered. The child support office said they would take the father to court for past medical bills that they paid for since the DNA test also. The only reason I'm asking for support now, besides the fact my son is 15, is that my son doesn't have to visit him, and has said he would tell a judge that he would not go there. But a question about insurance. Since it's now required for everyone to have insurance, or obamacare, how does that come into play. I don't have a job, and cannot work. But do not draw anything. He would be the only parent with a job. Will my son just loose his medical card?

You won't likely losw YOUR son's medical card through Texas CHIP.

The kid has nothing except what is derived through his parents.

I suggest you contact CHIP and ask how The Abominable Scare Act will impact Jimmy's CHIP care.

For quick access and answers about CHIP in Texas dial 2-1-1, once connected pick your language and press "2" for help!

Here you go:

http://www.chipmedicaid.org/

http://www.chipmedicaid.org/en/Benefits

http://www.chipmedicaid.org/en/Get-Help

http://www.chipmedicaid.org/en/More-Info

Thanks for the advice. But this is ky. And their harder on deadbeat dads than most states. Not calling him that because he dont give support, it's just the look in my sons eyes for 15yrs, when my other child's dad would come get visitation, and his whole life feeling unwanted by his father. But I'm sure I can find their site. And hopefully put this behind us. There's no good answers either way. thank you

Thanks for the advice. But this is ky. And their harder on deadbeat dads than most states. Not calling him that because he dont give support, it's just the look in my sons eyes for 15yrs, when my other child's dad would come get visitation, and his whole life feeling unwanted by his father. But I'm sure I can find their site. And hopefully put this behind us. There's no good answers either way. thank you

My mistake, but KY has something similar, Google it.

All states are hard on deadbeat moms and dads.

There are deadbeats in BOTH genders.

But, you picked him, so don't discuss that, because judges don't want to second guess your choices, so let that one go.

Focus on the facts, and the good news here is, in three short years none of this will matter.

Heck, if I were you, I'd let it go now, but I'm not you.

We all must make our own choices.

KCHIP Toll-Free Hotlines

(877) KCHIP-18 (877-524-4718)
(877) KCHIP-19 (877-524-4719) for the deaf and hard of hearing
(800) 662-5397 for Spanish language services

Information about K-CHIP is available on Kentucky's 2-1-1 call center.

2-1-1 is an easy to remember telephone number that connects people with important health and human services. The implementation of 2-1-1 is spearheaded by the United Way and information and referral agencies in states and local communities. The United Way and the Alliance for Information and Referral Systems (AIRS) strongly support federal funding so that every American has access to this essential service.

2-1-1 is available in the following Kentucky counties:
Northern Kentucky – Boone, Campbell, Kenton and Grant.
Greater Louisville – Jefferson, Nelson, Trimble, Carroll, Henry, Bullitt, Oldham, Hardin, Shelby and Spencer.
Central Kentucky - Anderson, Bourbon, Clark, Fayette, Jessamine, Madison, Montgomery, Scott and Woodford.

http://kidshealth.ky.gov/en/contact.htm

Heer's KY's site:

http://kidshealth.ky.gov/en/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back